1 - 5 of 5 Posts

tomipark

When I married my husband, I didn't convert and we had a non religious wedding, but I am sort of considering converting now. There are a lot of aspects about Orthodoxy that appeal to me now that we've been together for many years and Ive learned more about the religion. Plus, our kids are Greek Orthodox so I think it would be nice if we were all the same religion officially. I was raised loosely Catholic, so I haven't practiced in years. I'm wondering what other couples have done and if anyone has experience marrying someone of another religion.

To my knowledge to get married in the Greek Orthodox church the person needs to convert to orthodox, but it may depend on the Greek Orthodox parish as well.

Here in Australia, we do not need to convert to Greek Orthodox, BUT both parties need to be Christians. My cousin is a priest in Melbourne, he married so many Greek backgrounds marrying Italian backgrounds he learnt the the Marriage and Baptism services in Italian.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Here in Australia, we do not need to convert to Greek Orthodox, BUT both parties need to be Christians. My cousin is a priest in Melbourne, he married so many Greek backgrounds marrying Italian backgrounds he learnt the the Marriage and Baptism services in Italian.
I didn't know this was allowed or happened often. Kind of cool, thanks for sharing :)

I married someone not Orthodox and we were allowed to have an Orthodox ceremony. He wouldn't convert, I would have preferred that. He had been baptized in another Christian denomination so they allowed it. I would say, if you are feeling called to convert, go for it! You'll be able to participate in the church life with your family in a different way than you are now. Even if you attend church with them at the moment, you will be able to get communion and practice the other sacraments with them.

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back