1 - 7 of 7 Posts
My mom really wants to visit Santorini but she has difficulty getting around. Will Santorini be to exhausting for her? If so, are there any places that you can recommend in Greece that are friendly to seniors or people with mobility issues? Thanks :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I would say it really depends what activities you do on Santorini. If walking is the hardest thing, it might be tough if you are staying in a hotel or airbnb that has many stairs. If I had major issues that prevented me from walking properly, I might consider going to another Greek island. Hope this helps!!

TatianaS

I sent my parents there last year, rented a beautiful Airbnb with “minima” stairs. I got a cal within their first 5 minutes there complaining about all the stairs.

a lot of the sites and places to see require stairs. There are beautiful areas to stay with minimal stairs but they will miss out on a lot.

I would recommend a different island

Reactions: toniiv

toniiv

I sent my parents there last year, rented a beautiful Airbnb with “minima” stairs. I got a cal within their first 5 minutes there complaining about all the stairs.

a lot of the sites and places to see require stairs. There are beautiful areas to stay with minimal stairs but they will miss out on a lot.

I would recommend a different island
I've had the same experience with my family members. Traveling abroad with my parents is super difficult, and you can't really predict where will be accessible. What island do you recommend?

TatianaS

Krete, Paros, Skiathos, corfu there are so many options. For me Santorini is the toughest.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Krete, Paros, Skiathos, corfu there are so many options. For me Santorini is the toughest.
Santorini is definitely a no go. Way too many stairs and crowded and small spaces to squeeze through

k_tsoukalas

My mom really wants to visit Santorini but she has difficulty getting around. Will Santorini be to exhausting for her? If so, are there any places that you can recommend in Greece that are friendly to seniors or people with mobility issues? Thanks :)
The island can be tough to navigate if you have issues walking or need a wheel chair. There are some hills, getting to the top can be a challenge if you take a ferry, and it all depends on where you stay. Some of the resorts/hotels that overlook the caldera might be a better fit than an airbnb not on the caldera, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

Does Santorini tend to be more windy than other areas of Greece?

I have had it with this global heat!! I can't stand sweating and being so sticky, so Im looking to vacation in a place that's breezy and windy, and I'm hoping that Santorini is a bit cooler than other areas in Greece. Is this true? Or should I be looking elsewhere

Eco tourism is a huge need in Santorini

I would love to see some more eco tourism in Santorini! If anyone has any advice on more sustainable tourism places to go to on the island please let me know

These are the best beaches near Fira in Santorini

1. Vourvoulos
2.Perissa
3. Vlychada
4. Perivolos
5. Monolithos

Any more that someone would like to add? This picture is of Perissa beach

Perissa-Beach-Santorini-720x480.jpg

Holistic cooking experience in Santorini

I love this concept! Learning about Santorini through food is excellent :) You can get a group of people and eat a private dinner cooked specialized by a chef. Its a full gastronomical experience. I would love to experience it one day

You should visit the Gyzi megaron Museum in Santorini!

This museum is great because you can learn about the true culture and history of the island. The museum houses great authentic and intricate engravings, local clothing so you can see what people used to dress like, mabs, and a general overview of Santorini history. The artefacts are from the 15th to the 19th century and there are many pictures that show what the island used to look like before it was one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.

gyzi-megaron1-720x540.jpg
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter