1 - 7 of 7 Posts

knicks_fan87

My mom really wants to visit Santorini but she has difficulty getting around. Will Santorini be to exhausting for her? If so, are there any places that you can recommend in Greece that are friendly to seniors or people with mobility issues? Thanks :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I would say it really depends what activities you do on Santorini. If walking is the hardest thing, it might be tough if you are staying in a hotel or airbnb that has many stairs. If I had major issues that prevented me from walking properly, I might consider going to another Greek island. Hope this helps!!

TatianaS

I sent my parents there last year, rented a beautiful Airbnb with “minima” stairs. I got a cal within their first 5 minutes there complaining about all the stairs.

a lot of the sites and places to see require stairs. There are beautiful areas to stay with minimal stairs but they will miss out on a lot.

I would recommend a different island

Reactions: toniiv

toniiv

I sent my parents there last year, rented a beautiful Airbnb with “minima” stairs. I got a cal within their first 5 minutes there complaining about all the stairs.

a lot of the sites and places to see require stairs. There are beautiful areas to stay with minimal stairs but they will miss out on a lot.

I would recommend a different island
I've had the same experience with my family members. Traveling abroad with my parents is super difficult, and you can't really predict where will be accessible. What island do you recommend?

TatianaS

Krete, Paros, Skiathos, corfu there are so many options. For me Santorini is the toughest.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Krete, Paros, Skiathos, corfu there are so many options. For me Santorini is the toughest.
Santorini is definitely a no go. Way too many stairs and crowded and small spaces to squeeze through

k_tsoukalas

My mom really wants to visit Santorini but she has difficulty getting around. Will Santorini be to exhausting for her? If so, are there any places that you can recommend in Greece that are friendly to seniors or people with mobility issues? Thanks :)
The island can be tough to navigate if you have issues walking or need a wheel chair. There are some hills, getting to the top can be a challenge if you take a ferry, and it all depends on where you stay. Some of the resorts/hotels that overlook the caldera might be a better fit than an airbnb not on the caldera, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

The best times to visit Santorini

Santorini is one of those islands where the timing is super important! Unfortunately, the island gets super crowded and sometimes dare I say unpleasant because of the number of people and tourists. If you're willing to travel in the off season, I highly recommend it. September to October and April to May are the best times to go. I personally prefer mid September because I like a strong sun so I can get a good tan.

Stunning Santorini wedding at Le Ciel Santorini

Santorini has become one of the most popular destinations for weddings for so many years now. This wedding is absolutely stunning and the view is what makes it! Le Ciel Santorini is one of the most luxurious hotels on the island, and is located in the northern part (not too far from Oia). It is a common destination for weddings and I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in getting married in Greece.

You must visit the hot springs in Santorini

The Hot Springs in Santorini are one of the best natural springs that you can go to in Greece. They are heated by the islands volcano that is underneath the ocean, causing the springs to be extremely warm and offer a very relaxing experience. There are two small islands near Santorini in which you can be able to access the Hot Springs. You will need to take a boat to Nea Kameni or Palea Kameni. You will notice that the water is slightly yellow, but this is because it has a higher amount of sulphur than regular seawater, so no need to be alarmed. I hope you enjoy the Hot Springs!

Where to go shopping in Santorini Greece

Shopping in Santorini is one of the best experiences you can ever have because the shops are so unique and much of the stuff is handmade if you go to the right places. Santorini clothing has a very carefree and flowing vibe to it. Many of the clothes are white and made of linen, and match the colours of the island. The best places to shop is around Fira, the city center has the most ammount of stores and the greatest variety.
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter