1 - 3 of 3 Posts

cf_fraiser

Hi guys, is the Benaki museum worth the trip? I’m backpacking through Europe on a budget, and I’m trying to see what the most “bang for your buck” places are.

If you like Byzantine and more modern Greek history, then yes otherwise the National Archaeological Museum and the Acropolis Museum are far better for ancient artefacts.

Hi guys, is the Benaki museum worth the trip? I’m backpacking through Europe on a budget, and I’m trying to see what the most “bang for your buck” places are.
It depends what you like seeing in museums. It’s a very well respected, reputable museum with very well researched exhibitions. One of the best in Greece in modern art and other contemporary themes. There are two Benaki museums, check them out and visit the cafe on the very central one! The one in Pireos str is not open every day due to financial problems. Check opening days before you go!

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!

What I love about visiting Athens

I am planning another trip to Greece and plan to go to Athens. I have been so many times! I thought I would share with you what I love about it.

• The Acropolis: Standing majestically above the city, the Acropolis is an iconic symbol of ancient Greece. The Parthenon, Erechtheion, and Temple of Athena Nike are awe-inspiring examples of classical architecture.
  • Plaka District: Wandering through the narrow streets of Plaka feels like stepping back in time. This charming neighborhood is filled with neoclassical buildings, quaint cafes, and souvenir shops.
  • Sunset at Lycabettus Hill: Watching the sunset from Lycabettus Hill offers panoramic views of the city and the Aegean Sea. It's a magical experience, especially when accompanied by live music at the hilltop chapel.
  • Monastiraki Flea Market: Bargain hunting at Monastiraki Flea Market is a must-do in Athens. You can find everything from antiques and handmade crafts to clothing and jewelry.
  • Street Art in Exarchia: The Exarchia neighborhood is known for its vibrant street art scene. Exploring its graffiti-covered streets is like visiting an open-air art gallery filled with political statements and creative expressions.
To those of you who have been to Athens, what do you love about it? I am looking for ideas!

athens-greece.jpg

Churches to visit for Liturgy in Athens

I'll be in Athens soon, and I would like to go to church! I am trying to find a church that has liturgy that is preferably by my hotel. I am staying in the Plaka.

Do any pop you know if any of these are good?

Monastery of Daphni – The Monastery of Daphni is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located just outside of Athens.

Agios Nikolaos Rangavas Church – This church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the city.

Metropolis Cathedral – The Metropolis Cathedral is the largest and most historic church in Athens, with a rich history that dates back over a thousand years.

The Church of the Holy Apostles – This Byzantine church dates back to the 10th century and is considered one of the best-preserved examples of Byzantine architecture in Greece.

St. Irene’s Church – St. Irene’s Church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the oldest Byzantine churches in the city.

Best shopping in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and I'm a bit of a shopaholic. I want to make the most of my time there and experience the best shopping the city has to offer.

From what I've heard, Athens is a treasure trove of markets, boutiques, and shops - but I'd really appreciate some local or experienced insights.

Could anyone recommend:
  • The best areas for unique, local finds?
  • Any specific stores known for quality Greek goods?
  • Tips for navigating the markets?
I've only done historical things in Athens and visited friends. I have never taken the time to shop, but I will have plenty of time in Athens over the summer.

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back