1 - 5 of 5 Posts

paharo45

I learned recently of Janus, the Roman God of Beginnings. The month January, I believe, is named after this God.

Many of the Roman Gods and Goddesses have Greek counterparts. Does Janus?

If so, I think that would be an interesting god to learn about. I have to be honest - I am not sure there is a counterpart. I have been searching but there either isn't enough information online, or there really is no equivalent.

Do you guys have any idea?

You know, I don't actually thing so!

The closest might be Cronus - God of Time or maybe Adonis - the God of Rebirth? Not sure .... I think the concept of Janus is a uniquely Roman thing.

Janus, the Roman god of beginnings and transitions, is unique in ancient mythology with no direct Greek counterpart. Distinctly Roman, he's often depicted with two faces, symbolizing his connection to both the past and future. His uniqueness makes him a fascinating figure, embodying concepts particularly important to the Romans.

Looks like there's no direct equivalent. Cronus looks like the Greek God of Time, and then there are some other time-related gods and goddesses, such as Horae - Goddess of the seasons, and indirectly Moros - which relates to Doom (which is sort of indirectly related to time). From my research:

Kronos: The God of Time

Kronos, the Titan god of time, is one of the most significant figures in Greek mythology. Sometimes depicted as an old man with a flowing beard, Kronos was often associated with the concept of time and the cyclical nature of life. He also had the ability to consume his children, which was thought to represent the inevitable passage of time and the fleeting nature of existence. In some myths, Kronos was eventually overthrown by his son, Zeus, who took his place as the king of the gods.

Horae: The Goddesses of the Seasons

While Kronos and Chronos were both closely associated with time in a general sense, the Horae were a group of goddesses who were specifically connected to the seasons and the passage of time throughout the year. There were three main Horae: Eunomia, Dike, and Eirene, each of whom represented a different aspect of the seasonal cycle. Eunomia, for example, was associated with the autumn harvest season, while Eirene was connected to the peaceful, tranquil time of winter.

Moros: The God of Doom

Finally, there was Moros, the god of doom, who played a crucial role in the Greek concept of time. Moros was responsible for determining the fate of mortals, overseeing the balance between life and death. He was often depicted as a gloomy, foreboding figure, who held the power of life and death in his hands. And yet, even as he presided over the passage of time and the eventual demise of all living things, Moros was also seen as a necessary force in the universe, ensuring that life continued to cycle in a natural, predictable manner.

Very fascinating - thanks for chiming in guys! I kind of wish there were an equivalent because having a "new beginning" really feels amazing. I get hopeful every year at New Year's and feel like it's an opportunity to wipe the slate clean. I wonder if this is cultural.

Understanding the Goddess Hera's Jealousy

I've been delving into Greek mythology recently, and one aspect that continually piques my interest is the jealousy of Hera, the queen of the gods. Hera's jealousy, particularly towards Zeus's numerous affairs and their resulting offspring, is a recurring theme in many myths.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and interpretations on this. Why do you think Hera's jealousy is so prominently featured in these stories? Is it meant to reflect certain human qualities or societal norms of the time? Or is there another symbolic reason behind it?

Additionally, how do you think Hera's jealousy shapes her interactions with other characters and the overall narrative of Greek myths? Does it add a layer of complexity to her character, or does it serve more as a plot device?

Thoughts on Oedipus Rex?

recently finished reading Oedipus Rex by Sophocles, and I’m curious to hear what others think about this classic tragedy.

For those who haven't read it, the story revolves around Oedipus, the King of Thebes, who is determined to rid his city of a plague by discovering and punishing the murderer of the previous king, Laius. As he delves deeper into the investigation, he uncovers harrowing truths about his own identity and his inadvertent fulfillment of a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.

It was an interesting read, to say the least. What do you guys think of it?

Information about Chaos from Greek Mythology?

I’m currently delving into Greek mythology and have become particularly fascinated with the concept of Chaos. From what I understand, Chaos is often described as the primeval void or the initial state of the universe before the creation of the cosmos. However, I’m looking for more detailed information on this topic.

Could anyone provide insights or resources on the following?
  • What are the origins of Chaos in Greek mythology, and what role does it play in the creation myths?
  • Are there specific ancient texts or authors that provide the most comprehensive descriptions of Chaos?
  • How is Chaos symbolically represented in Greek mythology, and what does it signify in the broader context of ancient Greek culture and philosophy?
  • Resources that you can recommend so I can dive in...
Thanks so much!

List of fun Greek mythology topics

I really love Greek Mythology. I thought I would share with you all some of my favorite topics:

1. Birth of the Olympians and how they came to power
  2. Different heroes of Greek mythology
  3. 12 Labors of Hercules
  4. Trojan War
  5. Iliad and the Odyssey and all the stories in them
  6. The story of Persephone
  7. Pandora's box
  8. Different creatures - like the Minotaur and Hydra
What are yours?

Greek God or Goddess About Cooking?

I've recently been diving into mythology and am particularly fascinated by Greek mythology. I was wondering, are there any Greek gods or goddesses associated with cooking or cuisine?

I know the Greeks had gods and goddesses for various aspects of life, and I'm curious if the culinary arts were represented in any way. Thanks in advance!
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back