1 - 2 of 2 Posts

axariotisxy

Greek wines offer a window into the country's rich traditions. I have been taking the time to learn more about it lately!

Greek wine history dates back over 4,000 years, intertwined with myths and traditions where wine was celebrated as a gift from the gods. Today, Greece's unique climate, diverse soils, and indigenous grape varieties contribute to the production of wines with distinct character and quality.

Indigenous Varieties to Know:
  1. Assyrtiko: Originally from Santorini, this white grape is all about minerality, crisp acidity, and lemony flavors, making it a perfect companion for seafood.
  2. Agiorgitiko: One of the most important red varieties, primarily grown in the Peloponnese. It produces wines ranging from soft and fruity to full-bodied and age-worthy.
  3. Xinomavro: Often referred to as the "Barolo of Greece," this red grape from Northern Greece offers complex aromas and a strong tannic presence, ideal for aging.
  4. Moschofilero: A highly aromatic white variety, yielding wines that are fresh and floral with lively acidity, hailing from the cool-climate region of Mantinia.
  5. Retsina: While not a grape variety, no discussion on Greek wine can be complete without mentioning Retsina, a traditional white or rosé wine flavored with pine resin. A contemporary approach to Retsina has given it a much-needed makeover, making it an intriguing option worth revisiting.

Did I miss any wines? I am guessing I did...

greek-wine.jpg

I am sure you did, as well, but honestly, in Greece people don't always tell you what the grape name is when they hand you a wine that they probably made themselves. And it's all delicious!

For me, part of the experience of wine is enjoying these moments. So I am not sure I would get hung up on the names of things - drink it and keep track of what you like. :)

Using Halloumi Cheese in Greek Cuisine

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!

Advice for making kakavia - Greek fish soup

I'm planning to make a traditional Greek fish soup called Kakavia and could really use some advice from those who've tried it before, or anyone familiar with Greek cuisine. I fish a lot in the summer and have a lot of fish to use. Deep sea fishing.

Here are a few key points I'm hoping to get help with:
  • Fish Selection: What types of fish work best for Kakavia? Are there specific kinds that bring out the best flavors?
  • Preparation Tips: Any tips on prepping the fish and other ingredients? Should I be looking out for anything specific when cleaning or cutting the fish?
  • Broth Enhancements: How can I make sure the broth is rich and flavorful? Are there any secret ingredients or techniques that can elevate the dish?
  • Serving Suggestions: What are the best sides or accompaniments to serve with Kakavia? Any traditional Greek side dishes that pair well?
I appreciate any insights you can share. Thanks!

Typical Greek Breakfast Foods?

I'm curious to learn more about Greek cuisine, specifically breakfast foods. What are some typical breakfast items that people in Greece enjoy? I've heard a bit about yogurt and honey, but I'd love to know more about other traditional options.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences or insights?

Looking forward to reading your responses and learning more. I am a Greek Canadian and I noticed while in Greece that they don't make a big deal of breakfast. Is it just a small meal eaten fast? I tend to eat bigger breakfasts.

Ordering at a Greek taverna?

'm heading to Greece soon and can't wait to experience an authentic Greek taverna. I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to order and how to make the most of the experience.

Any recommendations on must-try dishes or drinks? Are there any customs or etiquette I should be aware of? I'd love to hear your tips on what to order, how to enjoy the meal, and any local secrets that can make my visit memorable.

Thanks in advance! I want to try to have a traditional experience there.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back