1 - 3 of 3 Posts

redsoxdw_

I need to teach some people how to Greek dance for a wedding, and I wanted to share my notes on the process in case you all have anything to add. I can demo the dances, and I also found some videos online to show people. I was planning to video tape the lesson.

1. Understand the different types of Greek dances

Greek dances range from slow and romantic to fast and energetic. The most popular dances at Greek weddings include the Kalamatianos, Syrtos, Hasapiko, and Tsifteteli. The Kalamatianos is a slow dance in a circular formation, while the Syrtos features a circular line formation with hand-holding. The Hasapiko is a traditional solo dance, and the Tsifteteli is a popular belly dance style. Before you get on the dance floor, it helps to know which type of dance will be performed, so you can prepare yourself accordingly. I have to absolutely teach the kalamatianos since it goes with the traditional song.

2. Get familiar with the music

Greek music is a blend of traditional and modern styles, and often features the use of stringed instruments, like the bouzouki. To prepare for the wedding, listen to a few Greek wedding songs and get familiar with the beats and rhythms. Once you recognize the music, it'll be easier to catch the steps and dance along.

3. Start with the basics

If you're a beginner, don't try to learn the complicated moves right away. Start with the basics and gradually work your way up. For instance, the Kalamatianos starts with a simple step and pivot motion, while the Syrtos features a basic two-step motion. Youtube tutorials can help you learn the steps, but if possible, try to practice with a friend or family member, who can give you feedback and pointers.

4. Practice, practice, practice

Like with any new skill, practice is key. Set aside some time each day to practice the steps until you feel comfortable with the moves. As you practice, pay attention to your posture and footwork, and try to move with the rhythm of the music. Don't worry about getting it perfect, the most important thing is to have fun! We should ideally have more than one practice session, especially with the wedding party. Let's see if I can get everyone together.

Also, you should dance on the balls of your feet not flat-footed. Many people don't do this, so it makes them look very stiff and rigid when dancing- this is especially noticeable when you see people dance tsamiko.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Also, you should dance on the balls of your feet not flat-footed. Many people don't do this, so it makes them look very stiff and rigid when dancing- this is especially noticeable when you see people dance tsamiko.

This is such good advice I totally agree!

Also, it drives me crazy when people look at the ground when dancing. Make eye contact with the people watching you - it's a performance! Especially when it's a wedding dance, everyone is watching.

Another dancing pet peeve - the bending and straightening of the leg. A lot of people keep their leg bent the whole time and it creates a hunched over posture that doesn't have as great of an aesthetic.

Again, when it's just random dancing these things are fine, people can do whatever they want, but these are the details that should be cleaned up (if there's enough time) for a wedding dance.

What is kefi exactly?

I have always found the concept of kefi to be intriguing, and I would like to learn more about it from those familiar or even vaguely aware of this notion. From what little I understand, kefi seems to embody a unique blend of joy, spirit, and passion, deeply ingrained in Greek culture. It's more than just a word; it's a lifestyle, a form of expression, an unbridled enthusiasm for life.

However, I'm curious to know about the deeper nuances and applications of kefi. How does kefi manifest in day-to-day life, not just in Greece, but wherever one might find joy and enthusiasm? Is it something that can be consciously cultivated, or does it spontaneously bloom in moments of happiness and high spirits? It seems like it really permeates the culture, especially in Greece.

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?

How to choose godparents?

I'm currently planning a baptism for a child in the Greek Orthodox Church and finding myself at a bit of a crossroads. One of the most significant decisions we're facing is choosing the right godparents. I understand that in our tradition, the role of a godparent is not only a great honor but also carries profound spiritual and moral responsibilities. They are to guide the child in the Orthodox faith, ensuring they grow in the church and its teachings.

How do you choose? I have a few candidates and am trying to narrow it down.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back