1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dubai_suzie

This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!

100%. This is common courtesy in Greece. I always take a cake or some little ice creams when I go to someone's house.

Last edited:
This is a very popular custom in Greece and you might come off as strange if you don't parcticiate. If you're invited to someones house, it is customary to bring dessert or a small gift to show your toes of appreciation for the fact that they're hosting you. It is likely that they will also offer you food, dessert or coffee as well. So don't be surprised if they do!
Nice.... always did this for all friends in Mykonos... cookies, cakes, used to take my cooking as I make mean Macaronada and Tono salads!...I used to take small bottles of Greek liquors as well...Kalley Mera from Thailand and Monsoons..

Reactions: redsoxdw_
Nice.... always did this for all friends in Mykonos... cookies, cakes, used to take my cooking as I make mean Macaronada and Tono salads!...I used to take small bottles of Greek liquors as well...Kalley Mera from Thailand and Monsoons..
Amazing!! I try to be as generous as possible, there is nothing like the hospitality I have received in Greece...its astounding

100%. This is common courtesy in Greece. I always take a cake or some little ice creams when I go to someone's house.
Is it mostly dessert that one gifts, or can you bring other things?

How to choose godparents?

I'm currently planning a baptism for a child in the Greek Orthodox Church and finding myself at a bit of a crossroads. One of the most significant decisions we're facing is choosing the right godparents. I understand that in our tradition, the role of a godparent is not only a great honor but also carries profound spiritual and moral responsibilities. They are to guide the child in the Orthodox faith, ensuring they grow in the church and its teachings.

How do you choose? I have a few candidates and am trying to narrow it down.

Daily Life in the Villages?

I'm curious about daily life in Greek villages. What is it like to live in these rural areas? How do people typically spend their days? I'm interested in learning about their routines, social activities, and community events.

Also, how does village life differ from life in the cities? Are there specific traditions or customs that are more prevalent in the villages? I’d love to hear about local cuisine, any unique festivals, and how people maintain their homes and farms.

If anyone has personal experiences or insights into the rhythms of daily life in Greek villages, please share! I'm eager to understand more about this aspect of Greek culture and what makes village life special.

Summer Festivals in Greece?

With the warm weather approaching, I've been eager to explore more light and refreshing dishes. I'm particularly interested in Greek cuisine, which I know has a lot of great options perfect for sunny days.

Could anyone share their favorite Greek dishes to enjoy when the weather is warm? I'm looking for suggestions that are both delicious and easy to prepare. Any recipes or tips on where to find authentic ingredients would be greatly appreciated too!

Greek Naming Traditions?

I have noticed that in Greece, there are some traditions associated with naming their children. Although some Greek families in the United States have done this, many have seemed to lose the traditions.

Does anyone know what some of these traditions are? I am helping a friend name his upcoming child... Here's some of what I have learned:

1. Firstborn daughter names after maternal grandmother
2. Firstborn son named after paternal grandfather
3. Firstborn son named after father

Those are the ones I have figured out. I don't know what is traditional from Greece and what has just been made up amongst Greeks in the US.

Greek Wedding Traditions in Greece

I am helping someone plan a traditional Greek wedding. I'm not entirely sure where to start and would appreciate any advice or insights from those who have experience with Greek weddings.

What are some must-have traditions or customs that I should consider? I’ve heard about the Stefana (wedding crowns) and the Koufeta (sugar-coated almonds), but I’d love to know more about their significance and any other meaningful rituals. How do these traditions typically unfold during the ceremony and reception?

Additionally, any tips on how to blend these Greek elements with a more modern wedding style would be incredibly helpful. I want to create a beautiful fusion that respects tradition while still feeling contemporary.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back