1 - 4 of 4 Posts

auroracoor1

I've had loukoumades many times - both in Greece and elsewhere. I love them so much - especially doused with honey and topped with walnuts in cinnamon. One time when I was out drinking in Greece, the waitstaff brought over a batch of loukoumades simply because I hadn't ordered food, and it was on the house.

Is it straightforward to make these at home? I know they are friend. I usually see people making these with a machine.

loukoumades-376x220.jpg

Yeah, they're easy to make. You can also make something called "tiganites" which is very similar. Don't feel obligated to put honey on top (the traditional). Most people in Greece put some kind of chocolate, strawberry sauce, vanilla, white chocolate, or some other sauce...

Yeah, they're easy to make. You can also make something called "tiganites" which is very similar. Don't feel obligated to put honey on top (the traditional). Most people in Greece put some kind of chocolate, strawberry sauce, vanilla, white chocolate, or some other sauce...
WOW!!! I never thought to put chocolate on it - wow those other options sound so delicious. I only had loukoumades once in Greece and they had honey on them, but come to think of it, I have seen different version of them in other places. Do they do chocolate sauce? I can picture putting thinly shaved chocolate over and letting it melt and that being delicious...

WOW!!! I never thought to put chocolate on it - wow those other options sound so delicious. I only had loukoumades once in Greece and they had honey on them, but come to think of it, I have seen different version of them in other places. Do they do chocolate sauce? I can picture putting thinly shaved chocolate over and letting it melt and that being delicious...
Most Greeks don't eat loukoumades with honey. Id you look at the pictures of the menu, you'll see that the menu is of several different flavors and the tradtiona (παραδοσιακοί) are in thr bottom right in a spot where you have to force your eyes to go.

Some loukoumadea have a sauce in them and some don't. Here are some of my pictures I took of my loukoumades (one with sauce in it and one with the sauce on top)...

Attachments

• 20200819_211121.jpg
    20200819_211121.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200819_211144.jpg
    20200819_211144.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220618_161552.jpg
    20220618_161552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200814_192238.jpg
    20200814_192238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Essential Greek Pantry Staples - Your Recommendations?

I've recently developed a keen interest in Greek cuisine and I'm on a mission to incorporate more of its flavors into my daily cooking. Given the vast knowledge pool here, I thought this would be the perfect place to ask about must-have Greek pantry staples.

From what I gather, olive oil, olives, and feta cheese seem like obvious essentials. But I'm curious about the less obvious, yet equally important ingredients that could elevate my dishes with authentic Greek flavors.

Are there specific herbs, spices, or any other pantry items that are staples in Greek cooking? Additionally, if there are brands or types of these ingredients that you swear by, I'd love to hear about those too.

greek-food-pantry-items.jpg

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Getting souvlaki tender?

How do you make tender Greek souvlaki? I've attempted various recipes, marinated for different durations, and experimented with both high and low cooking temps, but I seem to be missing the mark for that mouth-watering tenderness commonly found in authentic Greek souvlaki.

Has anyone found a particular method or ingredient that makes a significant difference in achieving that ideal tenderness?

I use ladolemono, a marinate it overnight in ziplock baggies (after I cut the meat in cubes) and then I add them to the skewers and cook them on the grill. I typically use chicken.

Best meze to serve at Easter?

What is the best Greek meze to serve for Greek Easter? I want dishes that will wow my guests and make this Easter unforgettable. I’m looking for meze that are both traditional and have that ‘wow’ factor in terms of visual appeal and taste. I’d appreciate if you could share your favorites and perhaps some personal tips or recipes that make them stand out.

Here’s what I’m considering so far, but I’d love your input:
  • Tzatziki - A refreshing yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip.
  • Spanakopita - Hearty spinach and feta pie encased in flaky pastry.
  • Dolmadakia (Stuffed Grape Leaves) - A tangy and herb-infused delight.
  • Feta cheese. A classic - I sometimes drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
  • Olives. No meze spread is complete without olives.
What else should I put out? Or is that enough? We're having about 20 people.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back