1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I saw in another thread that pasta flora is a fairly easy Greek dessert to make to take to someone's house. I tried to make it once and I messed up the dough - it was far too dense.

Is it possible that I overworked it or maybe even used too much flour?

The recipe I used didn't give me instructions for how long to mix the dough, and then how to tell if he dough was all set - so my gut is that I overworked it. It had the texture of a cracker.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Hi axariotisxy,

Yes it is possible you over worked the dough. Did you rest your dough at all? Also over baking is also another factor of having it be like a cracker.
Mix your butter and sugar very well, at least 5 min. And then add your flour, and mix till it’s incorporated.

Hi axariotisxy,

Yes it is possible you over worked the dough. Did you rest your dough at all? Also over baking is also another factor of having it be like a cracker.
Mix your butter and sugar very well, at least 5 min. And then add your flour, and mix till it’s incorporated.
I didn't rest my dough! I will try again and this time, I will rest the dough. How long should I?

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member

k_tsoukalas

At least 30minutes to an hour
I agree, you need to rest it at least 30 minutes. When you touch the dough, it should feel like it got softer and a little warmer. This will make it easier to work with.

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

Traditional Cretan Cuisine?

It is likely that I will be going to Crete this year, particular the Heraklion area so I can visit Knossos Palace. I have heard that there are some unique elements to Cretan cuisine to explore while there.

Someone told me to order a dish called Dakos. I see online that it is a bread dish with tomato and cheese. Is this something I can make at home easily to give it a try?

I know in the summer, Village Salad is a staple - I heard that they commonly use a cheese that resembles Feta, but isn't?

Cretans seem to love finding their food wild and eating it fresh. I know this is common all over Greece.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Quick Greek Dinner Ideas

Many of the Greek dishes I know how to cook are very time consuming for me to put together, like stuffed grape leaves and spanakopita.

Sometimes, I want to eat Greek food, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Can you think of some easy Greek suppers besides salads to eat? I cook village salad and cabbage salad, but am also open for suggestions for different salads. I know I could always serve souvlaki with them. I know that is fairly quick, aside from the marinating.

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube