1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Jawge

My father was born in the US. When he was 5 y/o his family moved back to Greece. He went back to the US just before WW2 and, of course, he was drafted. He spent 4 years in the S Pacific as a combat veteran. He was wounded twice. Initially, upon his return, he could not speak English and so he attended adult ed to learn.

Papou and Yayia returned and lived with us for a few years. I remember Papou smoking his pipe and taking me for daily walks. In 1955, they returned to Greece. I was 7 y/o and I never saw them again. I missed them dearly. Not everything about growing up Greek was great.

After the war, he married a strong Greek woman who along with my maternal Yayia taught me Greek. Ma was born in the US. Greek was my first language and so I became steeped in the Greek culture and fluent in the Greek language as did my 2 brothers. I lived it first hand and loved it. When I went to school I struggled with English so much so that my first grade teacher complained that I did not know my colors. Ma said, "Sure he does. Ask him in Greek." So that was that.

I married a strong wonderful Greek woman who is also fluent though she was born in the US. We have 2 wonderful daughters who spent a semester or 2 studying Greek at UNH. Thank God they have an excellent Greek language program there.

My family is Greek Orthodox and prior to the pandemic we attended an Orthodox church weekly and became very involved in the life of the church. Now we do the best we can through Zoom.

Though I am fluent (4 out of 5 according to my daughter) I never learned to read and write Greek. My wife and I now attend a Greek school at a church, at least we did prior to the pandemic, and so now I can read and write Greek.

So I have come full circle, like my father, who attended English school I have attended Greek school as an adult.

So that's how I grew up Greek in the USA.

Last edited:
So interesting reading about your experiences growing up! I was exposed to Greek from a young ageand it was nice to be able to learn some of the language from a young age. That has honestly helped me when learning other languages, and continuing my Greek studies as an adult. Back then, too, it wasn't easy to travel, and also we didn't have Skype and Zoom to keep in touch. It's so sad you didn't see your grandparents again.

My father was born in the US. When he was 5 y/o his family moved back the Greece. He went back to the US just before WW2 and, of course, he was drafted. He spent 4 years in the S Pacific as a combat veteran. He was wounded twice. Initially, upon his return, he could not speak English and so he attended adult ed to learn.

Papou and Yayia returned and lived with us for a few years. I remember Papou smoking his pipe and taking me for daily walks. In 1955, they returned to Greece. I was 7 y/o and I never saw them again. I missed them dearly. Not everything about growing up Greek was great.

After the war, he married a strong Greek woman who along with my maternal Yayia taught me Greek. Ma was born in the US. Greek was my first language and so I became steeped in the Greek culture and fluent in the Greek language as did my 2 brothers. I lived it first hand and loved it. When I went to school I struggled with English so much so that my first grade teacher complained that I did not know my colors. Ma said, "Sure he does. Ask him in Greek." So that was that.

I married a strong wonderful Greek woman who is also fluent though she was born in the US. We have 2 wonderful daughters who spent a semester or 2 studying Greek at UNH. Thank God they have an excellent Greek language program there.

My family is Greek Orthodox and prior to the pandemic we attended an Orthodox church weekly and became very involved in the life of the church. Now we do the best we can through Zoom.

Though I am fluent (4 out of 5 according to my daughter) I never learned to read and write Greek. My wife and I now attend a Greek school at a church, at least we did prior to the pandemic, and so now I can read and write Greek.

So I have come full circle, like my father, who attended English school I have attended Greek school as an adult.

I'm reflecting on growing up Greek. I'm 71 now, and all 4 of my grandparents were born in Greece but my parents were born in the US. One thing I remember is NOT enjoying going to Greek School at our church from 4 to 6PM 2 days a week while my parents worked. I had to take the bus to the center of Lowell, MA, and then walk to the church...not something I would allow a child to do by herself nowadays. Who wanted to do that after being in school all day? Fast forward to adulthood: it's a blessing being able to read and write Greek! I could read anything, but often have no clue what I'm reading. I never thought I could speak Greek until we visited Greece on vacations, and lo and behold I found I could communicate. After a few more visits to Greece and with the motivation to learn Greek, my fluency is improving . I'd LOVE to visit Greece again. In fact there's sooo much to see in Greece, I have no desire to visit any other country in Europe. Too much of Greece to explore.

My father was born in the US. When he was 5 y/o his family moved back to Greece. He went back to the US just before WW2 and, of course, he was drafted. He spent 4 years in the S Pacific as a combat veteran. He was wounded twice. Initially, upon his return, he could not speak English and so he attended adult ed to learn.

I forgot to mention that my family took our first trip to Greece in 1997. To me, it seemed like a pilgrimage. It was so exciting to stay in a hotel next to the Acropolis. To think we actually walked were Plato, Socrates and St Paul walked. The Acropolis was no longer just a picture in a book.

Reactions: dpappas87
Wow thank you for sharing, what an incredible story. It's hard to keep our culture strong, especially when we're in the states and don't have the luxury of traveling to Greece often. It's so nice to see others keeping up with their Greek in their adulthood. My parents are from Greece but I struggle with talking sometimes and I can barely read and write. I started taking online classes using this website called Italkie that I really love. My teacher is from Greece and we do the classes through facetime.

Reactions: Jawge

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Greek Islands Food Tour?

I am a foodie and I love to cook. Does anyone know of any food tour situations that I can do in the islands, or maybe island hopping?

I am in the midst of planning an exciting adventure to Greece and am particularly interested in experiencing the country through its cuisine. I've heard that island hopping offers not just stunning views but also a taste of local flavors that differ from island to island.

With so many beautiful islands, from the renowned Santorini to the charming Skopelos, I'm looking for recommendations on food tours or culinary experiences that are part of island hopping packages. Any recommendations you may have would be great!

Finding Good Food Tours of Greece?

I love Greek cuisine. I cook it all the time and I love trying new recipes. The time has come for me to think about planning a food tour! Does anyone have any advice?

I would love to hear from members of this forum about their experiences with food tours in Greece.
  1. Which regions or cities offer the best food tours?
  2. Any specific food tour companies or guides that you would recommend?
  3. What were some of the standout dishes or culinary experiences on your tour?
  4. Are there options for people with dietary restrictions, such as vegetarians?
  5. What should one expect in terms of cost and duration?
Any tips or advice on how to get the most out of such a tour would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Best places in Greece to see the Venetian influences?

I am interested in the Venetian influences that are interwoven into certain parts of the country. From the architecture to the local customs, I understand that the reach of the Venetian Republic left a notable mark that can still be felt today.

I'm in the midst of planning an itinerary focused on exploring these influences and I’d love to hear from you about the must-visit spots where one can best experience the essence of the Venetian presence in Greece.

Do any of you have recommendations for specific towns, buildings, ruins, or even local festivities that embody this cultural blend? Any hidden gems or lesser-known locations that surprised you with their Venetian charm?

Of course, I expect Crete, with its famed Venetian fortresses and the romantic old town of Chania, to be part of this list. But I'm certain there is a wealth of places, perhaps on other islands or on the mainland, which equally showcase this unique period of history. I also know there are influences in Corfu. Is there anywhere else?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back