1 - 3 of 3 Posts

cubrinj

I am interested in making my own spoon sweets. What are the most popular? I have eaten cherry, grape, lemon peel, and orange peel spoon sweets. Are they easy or hard to make? Are they similar to jams or other preserves? I find these tastier than American-style jams, with more of the fruit flavors coming out. Any advice is appreciated.

I am interested in making my own spoon sweets. What are the most popular? I have eaten cherry, grape, lemon peel, and orange peel spoon sweets. Are they easy or hard to make? Are they similar to jams or other preserves? I find these tastier than American-style jams, with more of the fruit flavors coming out. Any advice is appreciated.
My personal favorite is spoon sweet made with orange peel! I use Greek honey to make mine, but it's just because I like the flavor of the honey. I would find a recipe online - I unfortunately don't use a recipe, I just dump the peels in a pot and pour honey over it, and simmer the mixture until I feel like it's done. I like the peels to be cooked through. Sometimes I add a cinnamon stick to the mixture but I don't always.

Reactions: cubrinj
My personal favorite is spoon sweet made with orange peel! I use Greek honey to make mine, but it's just because I like the flavor of the honey. I would find a recipe online - I unfortunately don't use a recipe, I just dump the peels in a pot and pour honey over it, and simmer the mixture until I feel like it's done. I like the peels to be cooked through. Sometimes I add a cinnamon stick to the mixture but I don't always.
I love oranges. I will try it!

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Learning about Greek food and wine pairing

I've recently developed a fascination with Greek wines and am eager to explore their potential pairings with various cuisines. Greek wines, with their rich history and unique grape varieties, offer a tantalizing range of flavors that I believe can complement a wide array of dishes beautifully. However, my experience in effectively pairing these wines is somewhat limited, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those more familiar with this area.

Particularly, I'm interested in understanding which types of Greek wines (white, red, or rosé) pair best with specific dishes or cuisines. Here are a few specific questions I have in mind:
  1. Assyrtiko: Known for its crisp acidity and citrus notes, which dishes would best highlight Assyrtiko's characteristics?
  2. Agiorgitiko: Often described as smooth and velvety, what kinds of meals would complement this type of red wine?
  3. Xinomavro: With its robust tannins and complex flavor profile, what are the best food pairings to balance its intensity?
  4. Retsina: Given its unique pine resin flavor, are there particular foods that match well with this traditional wine?
Additionally, I'm curious if there are any general rules of thumb when it comes to pairing Greek wines with dishes from other culinary traditions outside of Greek cuisine.

Thank you!

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back