1 - 3 of 3 Posts

redsoxdw_

I’m planning a trip to Athens and I want to make sure I get to experience the most iconic and touristy areas the city has to offer. While I’m all for off-the-beaten-path adventures, I also believe that some places are popular for good reasons, and I’d hate to miss out on those.

Could anyone share their recommendations for must-visit tourist spots in Athens? I’ve heard the Acropolis is a no-brainer, but I’m curious about other places as well. Also, if there are any tips for navigating these areas (best times to visit, ticket hacks, etc.), I’d greatly appreciate it!

Plaka - the tourist shops and restaurants down the winding streets.
Anafiotika - close to Plaka and right next to the Acropolis with its tiny streets and island-like houses
Monastiraki - antique market is worth a visit, you might be able to pick up something unique to bring back home
Psirri - lots of interesting restaurants and shops - if you like ice cream and/or cakes, try Nancy's Sweet Home right on the main square
National Archaeological Museum in Exarcheia
Acropolis Museum
Get a ticket that covers the Parthenon and the other historical sights in Athens such as Roman Agora, Greek Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus (my personal favourite)
Lykavitos - walk up it, don't take the funicular which doesn't give you a great view on the way up. If you don't want to walk too much, take a taxi as far as it will go then walk the last part - take lots of water with you
Syntagma - the unknown soldier and the changing of the guards
Filopappou hill - beautiful walk where you can see Socrates' Prison and the Pnyx (birthplace of democracy)

I'm sure there's lots more I've missed here but I think I have covered the major tourist attractions and maybe even some of the less popular ones.
Enjoy!

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Vangelis, that was a great post thank you! For those of us visiting Athens this year this is super helpful. I've been to some of these places, but not Anafiotika and Psirri. Great insider tips!

I don't have anything to add, you were so thorough.

In general, I have loved Monastiraki - it's always a must-visit for me.

What to See as a First Time Visitor to Athens?

I'm planning my very first trip to Athens, Greece, and I'm super excited! I've heard so many amazing things about this historic city, but I want to make sure I don't miss out on any must-see spots or hidden gems.

For those of you who have been to Athens before, what are the key things I absolutely need to visit? Here are a few things I've heard about:
  • The Acropolis and Parthenon
  • The Ancient Agora
  • The National Archaeological Museum
  • Plaka neighborhood
I'd love your recommendations on these places or any other sites, restaurants, or activities that you think are worth checking out. Also, any tips on the best times to visit certain spots or how to avoid the crowds would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your advice! Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Visiting Athens Advice for Families

We're planning a family trip to Athens this summer with our kids (teenagers) and would love some advice. We want to make the most of our visit and ensure there's something enjoyable for everyone.

Does anyone have recommendations for family-friendly activities or must-see attractions? We're particularly interested in historical sites, interactive museums, and any kid-friendly tours. Also, are there any parks or outdoor areas that would be great for picnics or leisurely strolls?

Additionally, tips on family-friendly restaurants or cafes would be greatly appreciated. We’re eager to experience local cuisine but want to make sure there are options suitable for our kids.

Is the Benaki Museum in Athens Worth Visiting?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and compiling a list of must-see places. I came across the Benaki Museum, and it caught my interest. From what I've gathered, it seems like a place rich in Greek history and culture, housing a diverse collection that spans the ages.

However, I'm trying to manage my time in Athens effectively since there's so much to see and do. For those who have visited the Benaki Museum, would you say it's a worthwhile addition to my itinerary? I'm particularly keen on understanding if its collections are uniquely representative of Greek heritage in ways that other museums in the city might not offer.

I'd love to hear about personal experiences, favorite exhibits, or even tips for visiting (best times to go, any particular tours, etc.). Your feedback will be immensely valuable in helping me decide!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and insights.

Advice for an Athens City Tour?

Last time I was in Athens, I did the hop on hop off as my city tour. I like those because you can get on and off at your leisure and use it as a way to get around the city.

I am going to be in Athens again, and I want to do a different type of tour this time. Maybe something historical. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I have done a straight up tour of the Acropolis, I was looking for something a bit more expansive.

Beaches in the Athens Riviera

I have to go to Athens for a business trip and I won't have time to tour around Greece. I'll only be there maybe 5 nights. I want to go to the beach, though, since it's summer!

I would love some recommendations on the best beaches to visit. I'm looking for a mix of beautiful scenery, good amenities, and perhaps a few spots that are less crowded. Here are a few specifics I'm considering:

1. Family-friendly beaches: Any spots that are particularly good for families with kids?

2. Secluded beaches: Are there any hidden gems where I can avoid the crowds?

3. Water sports: I'm interested in trying some water sports, so suggestions for beaches where these are available would be great.

4. Beach bars and restaurants: Any suggestions for beaches that have great food and drink options nearby?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm excited to explore the Athens Riviera.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back