1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

John Stefan

I and my parents would like to move to Greece at one point So I would like what do we need to move there? And Is it expensive to live in Greece? Because I read somewhere that living in Greece is super affordable and I am curious is that true? I look forward to some Replies.

It's affordable if you're on a salary other than a Greek salary. Most Greek salaries are terrible which means you will be living paycheck to paycheck. This is not a place you want to live, and there is a reason why Greeks are trying to leave the country for better opportunities.

Why do y'all want to move to Greece if you've never been there and don't know anything about it? I think you need a reality check. This is not like being on vacation where all the stress leaves you and you can do whatever you want because you don't have to work the next day. If you really are planning on moving there then I suggest you take an extended trip to Greece, not as a vacation, but a trip to see what life in Greece would be like if you do live there. People fall in love with the vacation and think it's some magical place - the economy says otherwise.

It's affordable if you're on a salary other than a Greek salary. Most Greek salaries are terrible which means you will be living paycheck to paycheck. This is not a place you want to live, and there is a reason why Greeks are trying to leave the country for better opportunities.

Why do y'all want to move to Greece if you've never been there and don't know anything about it? I think you need a reality check. This is not like being on vacation where all the stress leaves you and you can do whatever you want because you don't have to work the next day. If you really are planning on moving there then I suggest you take an extended trip to Greece, not as a vacation, but a trip to see what life in Greece would be like if you do live there. People fall in love with the vacation and think it's some magical place - the economy says otherwise.
I forgot to mention that I and my family do have in mind to first visit Greece as tourists before deciding if we want to move there or not. And if we like visiting Greece and like the people there and the places we visit there then we will decided if we want to move there or not. But I thank you for your answer.

kind regards John Stefan

Reactions: Hash
I would definitely visit Greece first before you go. Parts of Greece are different from each other, maybe you will even need to visit more than once. If you go often enough and you select a region before you buy, you can even start meeting people in the area you want to live and that could open up opportunities to even find a place you want to buy... It's totally doable to move though. I feel like the key is to zero in on exactly where you want and to start making friends in the area you want.

I would definitely visit Greece first before you go. Parts of Greece are different from each other, maybe you will even need to visit more than once. If you go often enough and you select a region before you buy, you can even start meeting people in the area you want to live and that could open up opportunities to even find a place you want to buy... It's totally doable to move though. I feel like the key is to zero in on exactly where you want and to start making friends in the area you want.
Thank you so much for your answer. But I am curious which Places in Greece have you been to? I look forward to your reply.

kind regards John Stefan

I agree with the comments "ellinasgolfer032" stated above.
From your comments sounds like you never been to Greece.
I was born in Greece, I have family there and own property in Greece . I visit almost every year ( not the last 2 due to covid) . Would I go there to live permanently? No way. I'm very happy living in Sydney AU.
I don't know where you live currently but if it is USA , Can, AU or another wealthy western country I wouldn't recommend moving to Greece to live there if you have to work in Greece to support yourself or your family.
If you want to move there and you have foreign income Greece is cheap if you compare it with USA , CAN, AU or most other western European countries.
You will find things like food, rent and public transport cheap in Athens and Greece generally but Gasoline is very expensive as are motorway tolls, private car annual tax and generally anything manufactured is expensive. How does 24% VAT compare with where you live now?
Good luck with whatever you decide to do and let us know if you decide to live in Greece.

It really depends on what you value and what type of life you are looking for. If you're thinking of moving to Greece, economics are a major factor to consider. If you're able to find a good job, or live off of your savings, then it will be much easier. It will also be easier if you own land or a house and will not have to pay rent. You will need to consider living expenses, which are minimal in Greece. But you will also need to consider the quality of services. For example, if you are a Greek citizen, you will have free health care, but the quality will be pretty low which may require you to get private health care. This is important if you are going to be living with your parents who might be a bit older and may run into health conditions in the future. This is something I considered when I thought about moving with my parents.

I and my parents would like to move to Greece at one point So I would like what do we need to move there? And Is it expensive to live in Greece? Because I read somewhere that living in Greece is super affordable and I am curious is that true? I look forward to some Replies.
Just do it.
Stop listening to all the other Hellas haters and critics. They either never lived there or their parents were to soft to make it there.

I agree with the comments "ellinasgolfer032" stated above.
From your comments sounds like you never been to Greece.
I was born in Greece, I have family there and own property in Greece . I visit almost every year ( not the last 2 due to covid) . Would I go there to live permanently? No way. I'm very happy living in Sydney AU.
I don't know where you live currently but if it is USA , Can, AU or another wealthy western country I wouldn't recommend moving to Greece to live there if you have to work in Greece to support yourself or your family.
If you want to move there and you have foreign income Greece is cheap if you compare it with USA , CAN, AU or most other western European countries.
You will find things like food, rent and public transport cheap in Athens and Greece generally but Gasoline is very expensive as are motorway tolls, private car annual tax and generally anything manufactured is expensive. How does 24% VAT compare with where you live now?
Good luck with whatever you decide to do and let us know if you decide to live in Greece.
Yes I will let you all know if I decide to move to Greece. However Here in England it is not too good. Here everything including Food and rent is expensive and the prices are rising quite fast.

kind regards John Stefan

Yes I will let you all know if I decide to move to Greece. However Here in England it is not too good. Here everything including Food and rent is expensive and the prices are rising quite fast.

kind regards John Stefan
Yes, everywhere seems to be getting very expensive

It was inevitable that inflation will kick in after all the newly printed money .

Just do it.
Stop listening to all the other Hellas haters and critics. They either never lived there or their parents were to soft to make it there.
Agreed, for the most part. People who have never lived there shouldn't be giving out advice about living in Greece.

I came from 1993 until 2008 on holiday to Rhodes. Sometimes twice a year.In 2009 I retired & now live on rhodes.I took Greek friends advice & rented an appartment.In the time I have been on Rhodes I have moved 5 times for various reasons.I started off in Faliraki but it is too quiet in winter.Now live in the working village of Afandou.My appartment now is 300 euros a month.Latest electric bill was 142 euros for 4 months.I pay 55 euros for broadband & phone for 2 months.It enables me to watch UK Tv for free.My appartment is across the road from a large supermarket & a 20 min. walk to the beach.Until last year I rented a car when needed.Now have a car, a Fiat I bought via a friend for 2000 euros. The health service is very good. 6 years ago I fell & broke my left hip. Because I have IKA ( same as NHS ) . As a pensioner IKA costs me nothing. I was in hospital for 10 days. the Op was done 1 day after admission & cost me nothing. So all in all life is good. I saw elsewhere you would like to be a fisherman in Greece.Finding any kind of work is very hard.Greeks will often have 2 or 3 jobs. Low paid jobs are often taken by albanians or africans.

Last edited:

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Itinerary for self-planned yacht trip through the Greek islands

I am working on planning a yacht trip through Greece. I live it because I am in total control of the itinerary and what goes on, unlike booking a cruise or something. There's enough of us in the group to make this a super affordable trip.

I am developing am itinerary - thought I'd run it by you:

1. Athens to Mykonos: Begin in the historic port of Athens and make your way to the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos. Dock at Agios Ioannis beach and take a stroll through Little Venice.
  2. Mykonos to Naxos: Naxos awaits, with its marble gateway to nowhere and beautiful beaches. Try the local kitron liqueur for a true taste of the island.
  3. Santorini: Sail to the iconic island of Santorini, where the sunset from Oia is second to none. Enjoy a swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and taste some of the best wines in Greece.
  4. Ios to Folegandros: Keep the vibes high in Ios known for its lively atmosphere, then find tranquility in Folegandros, where the untouched Mediterranean prevails.
  5. Return to Athens: Wrap up your adventure with a pitstop in Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. Its charm lies in its austere yet handsome neoclassical buildings and the stunning Aegean views.

What do you think? Anything to add or subtract? I have about 10 days.

yacht-greece.jpg

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back