1 - 8 of 8 Posts

knicks_fan87

It just gets waaayyyy too hot up there to be visiting during peak sun hours. Unless you want to melt, don't visit the Acropolis mid-day.

Acroplis-Athens-720x482.jpeg

Reactions: acamp7
This is amazing advice and I totally agree. Going in the middle of the day will give you a heat stroke. And there's no water at the top of the Acropolis LOL

It really does get too hot, especially in July and August. Parthenon should be visited early in the day. There are some nice restaurants in the Plaka. Many of those have shade - if you can get out of the sun you can enjoy those restaurants no matter what time of day it is.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
It really does get too hot, especially in July and August. Parthenon should be visited early in the day. There are some nice restaurants in the Plaka. Many of those have shade - if you can get out of the sun you can enjoy those restaurants no matter what time of day it is.
Plaka definitely has some of the best restaurants in Athens, most of them have great views, good food, and fast service.

We went once (I've been many times-it's never been too bad) on a Sunday afternoon and it was almost empty.

Reactions: toniiv
We went once (I've been many times-it's never been too bad) on a Sunday afternoon and it was almost empty.
Sunday afternoon sounds like a great time to go, thanks for the advice!

Reactions: AhLeah
It just gets waaayyyy too hot up there to be visiting during peak sun hours. Unless you want to melt, don't visit the Acropolis mid-day.

View attachment 468

This is very good advice - it gets so hot in the summer during the later part of the day, and it's busy!

Reactions: Hash

Interesting Museums I Like in Athens

Athens is rich with museums but there are a few I keep visiting when I get the chance. I always learn something new! My favorite is the museum at the Acropolis, which has a lot of information and artifacts from the area. Here's my list:
  1. The Acropolis Museum: Dominating this list is The Acropolis Museum, built to house every artifact found on the sacred rock of the Acropolis, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. A splendid blend of modern and ancient architecture, it holds an incredible array of sculptures and artifacts, including the Caryatids and the Parthenon Frieze.
  2. The National Archaeological Museum: As the largest museum in Greece, this is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts. It boasts an extensive collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, spanning several millennia—pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and the Mask of Agamemnon.
  3. Benaki Museum: Representing various periods throughout Greek history, the Benaki Museum is a private foundation, nestled in the heart of downtown Athens. It offers a comprehensive view of Greek culture from its prehistoric times to the 20th century, with an emphasis on art and everyday objects.
  4. Museum of Cycladic Art: A unique gem in Athens, this museum is home to an exceptional collection of Cycladic art, mostly dating from the Bronze Age. These prehistoric sculptures, with their distinct minimalist aesthetics, are a fascinating window into the ancient Aegean world.
What museums do you like to visit in Athens?

Churches to visit for Liturgy in Athens

I'll be in Athens soon, and I would like to go to church! I am trying to find a church that has liturgy that is preferably by my hotel. I am staying in the Plaka.

Do any pop you know if any of these are good?

Monastery of Daphni – The Monastery of Daphni is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located just outside of Athens.

Agios Nikolaos Rangavas Church – This church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the city.

Metropolis Cathedral – The Metropolis Cathedral is the largest and most historic church in Athens, with a rich history that dates back over a thousand years.

The Church of the Holy Apostles – This Byzantine church dates back to the 10th century and is considered one of the best-preserved examples of Byzantine architecture in Greece.

St. Irene’s Church – St. Irene’s Church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the oldest Byzantine churches in the city.

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Athens airport question...

There's a group of us going to Athens and our flights get in the same day, but at different times.

Is there an easy spot to wait for the rest of our group outside of security, like a cafe or restaurant, or even an area with chairs to sit... I have only been to this airport once, and I don't remember any details about what happens after security.

Taking the Ferry to Mykonos?

I am planning a trip for Greece next year to Greece. I usually fly into Athens and then fly into a place like Santorini or Mykonos from there.

I plan to go to Mykonos next summer and I am kind of sick of flying.

Is the ferry situation easy from Piraeus? Is this a better option than airplanes?

Someone told me I could wait until the last minute and buy the tickets that day, but I am not sure I feel comfortable with that...
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back