1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Vangelis

Now hear me out. I usually go to see a performance at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus theatre every time I visit Athens. A few times I have seen operas there. In fact, I have only been to operas at this theatre, having never been to an opera at any other time in my life. I have to say it is an amazing experience. If you are going this year and you have never been to an opera, Toscana is being performed here as part of the Athens & Epidaurus Festival. Do yourself a favour and go see it. You can find details here: https://whyathens.com/events/tosca-greek-national-opera/

And to get you in the mood, here are a couple of photos of the last opera I went to see there:

IMG_20190609_212402.jpg

IMG_20190609_214430.jpg

Reactions: Hash and cf_fraiser
Now hear me out. I usually go to see a performance at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus theatre every time I visit Athens. A few times I have seen operas there. In fact, I have only been to operas at this theatre, having never been to an opera at any other time in my life. I have to say it is an amazing experience. If you are going this year and you have never been to an opera, Toscana is being performed here as part of the Athens & Epidaurus Festival. Do yourself a favour and go see it. You can find details here: https://whyathens.com/events/tosca-greek-national-opera/

And to get you in the mood, here are a couple of photos of the last opera I went to see there:

View attachment 1034

View attachment 1035
These photos are stunning! One thing I love about Greece is that you will always have a good view no matter how far back you're sitting.

Reactions: Vangelis
These photos are stunning! One thing I love about Greece is that you will always have a good view no matter how far back you're sitting.
True. I actually was in the "cheapest" seats at 20 euro and the proximity to the stage was perfect. Also with the acoustics, there was no electronic amplification but everything could be heard very clearly.

Reactions: nm1999
True. I actually was in the "cheapest" seats at 20 euro and the proximity to the stage was perfect. Also with the acoustics, there was no electronic amplification but everything could be heard very clearly.
As a music lover myself, I must say that the ancient Greeks had some of the most sophisticated sound engineering!!

Reactions: Vangelis
This is excellent advice with stunning photos! It’s so easy to book, the theatre is welcoming, and it’s always an experience of a lifetime. Sadly many travelers don’t think of it. The most popular shows sell out quickly so it’s good to plan ahead.

This is excellent advice with stunning photos! It’s so easy to book, the theatre is welcoming, and it’s always an experience of a lifetime. Sadly many travelers don’t think of it. The most popular shows sell out quickly so it’s good to plan ahead.
I've never thought of it myself!! But I definitely will go now :)

View attachment 1034

View attachment 1035
Just Wow!🤗🤗

Reactions: efhernandez_

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Visiting the Cycladic Museum

Though I will be in Mykonos for a while when I come to Greece (soon!) I will have some time in Athens.

I will be tied up with wedding festivities on Mykonos, but I will have some time. So, I want to learn about the history and culture of the island. I know there has to be more to it there than all the parties and the beach scene.

I plan to visit the Cycladic Museum in Athens to get ready. Is there anything I should keep in mind while I explore the museum?

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg

Taking the Ferry to Mykonos?

I am planning a trip for Greece next year to Greece. I usually fly into Athens and then fly into a place like Santorini or Mykonos from there.

I plan to go to Mykonos next summer and I am kind of sick of flying.

Is the ferry situation easy from Piraeus? Is this a better option than airplanes?

Someone told me I could wait until the last minute and buy the tickets that day, but I am not sure I feel comfortable with that...
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back