1 - 9 of 9 Posts

knicks_fan87

My wife and I want to go to Greece for the first time. We were going to stick with the Athens area and use it for a home base. We both want to see a lot of the history things in the city and in the area, like the Parthenon.

We also might want to go to Marathon, maybe Delphi. Are any of these places within driving distance of Athens?

Also, we love the beach. Do you have any area beaches to recommend or maybe even a day excursion on a ferry that isn't too far from Athens?

Reactions: Hash
I think its great you are staying around the Athens area. Too often people try to cram so much into their trip, they don't get to experience the laid back lifestyle. A couple of suggestions:
Epidaurus - Ancient theater that is still in use today. Its within driving distance, but you might want to secure an airbnb nearby and enjoy a local beach.
Sounion - Ancient temple of Poseidon. Best known for its sunsets and worth the drive. On you way back, stop at Aperanto Galazio restaurant in Varkiza for a seafood dinner on the beach.
Beaches - The southern suburbs have some good beaches and can be accessed via tram or bus [Alimos, Glyfada, Voula]. As an alternative, you can take the ferry to Hydra and they there are numerous options to go to more secluded beaches via private boats.] Almost all beaches are organized with umbrellas and chairs available for rental.
Numismatic [Coin] Museum in Athens - Their courtyard is one of the best coffee places in Athens. Also on Thursday evenings they have live music for 5 euro per person. Check their facebook page, but its a great evening with a bottle of wine and some music.
Acropolis - Your first view of the Acropolis should be at night from a rooftop bar. When you visit, I would suggest hiring a personal guide. You'll get a lot more from the experience.

Most of all, take time to enjoy leisurely coffees, seaside walks, etc. Kalo Taxidi

I think its great you are staying around the Athens area. Too often people try to cram so much into their trip, they don't get to experience the laid back lifestyle. A couple of suggestions:
Epidaurus - Ancient theater that is still in use today. Its within driving distance, but you might want to secure an airbnb nearby and enjoy a local beach.
Sounion - Ancient temple of Poseidon. Best known for its sunsets and worth the drive. On you way back, stop at Aperanto Galazio restaurant in Varkiza for a seafood dinner on the beach.
Beaches - The southern suburbs have some good beaches and can be accessed via tram or bus [Alimos, Glyfada, Voula]. As an alternative, you can take the ferry to Hydra and they there are numerous options to go to more secluded beaches via private boats.] Almost all beaches are organized with umbrellas and chairs available for rental.
Numismatic [Coin] Museum in Athens - Their courtyard is one of the best coffee places in Athens. Also on Thursday evenings they have live music for 5 euro per person. Check their facebook page, but its a great evening with a bottle of wine and some music.
Acropolis - Your first view of the Acropolis should be at night from a rooftop bar. When you visit, I would suggest hiring a personal guide. You'll get a lot more from the experience.

Most of all, take time to enjoy leisurely coffees, seaside walks, etc. Kalo Taxidi
I have gotten the impression that people often try to do too much when they are in Greece. I have experienced the same feeling when I've taken other trips. Cruises with nonstop itineraries, planning a trip myself and trying to do too much - I want to feel refreshed when I vacation, and that I really got to know an area.

That being said, this is an excellent list. Thank you so much for weighing in! I have hard that the beaches near Athens are great and definitely worth visiting. I have some friends that visited Hydra, too, and said we should really make it a point to go, even if it is just for the day. I love the idea of gazing at the Acropolis from a rooftop bar! Do you have any to recommend?

Some other things to do in Athens:

The Obvious:
Acropolis and its museum
National Archaeological Museum
Roman and Greek Agoras
A lazy walk around Filopapou hill for a great view of the Acropolis and also Socrates prison and Pnix (the birthplace of democracy) all for free

The not so obvious:
You MUST see a show at Odeon of Herodes Atticus - see my pics of some shows I have been to: Odeon Shows
Also, if you want to experience some alternative inner city suburbs in Athens try Gazi, Psyrri, Thiseio, Koukaki and Exarcheia.
Exarcheia is my favourite and I have written a mini guide to the places I like and visit regularly here: Exarcheia Guide
Some venues have closed down or have changed from when I wrote this so always check availability on Google Maps - eg Cats and Monsters is no longer around unfortunately.

Visit the islands. The ferries from Pireeas will take you to islands from 1/2hr to over 4hrs away but most common islands can be visited within 4hr ferry trip. The ferries these days are big and stable and not the drama they used to be.

Most of all, enjoy! Hopefully I will also be there in 2023.

Reactions: wee5 and Hash
Everyone made some fantastic contributions! I am wondering if it might make sense for you to take a guided tour of some of the spots in the surrounded area that are further away, like Marathon. It might be an easy way to stay focused and if you have a knowledgeable guide you'll get more out of the experience.

Greece is considered the cradle of Western civilization and is visited by tourists. I am so fond of Greek mythology that I wanted to visit it myself. Also attracted by the azure sea, golden beaches, white houses, and the scent of strong coffee and pine plants. Before leaving for my chosen strange, I went to https://www.beachluxuryvacations.com/30a-beach-houses-vacation-rentals, which provided me with such a beautiful house on the seashore that the view from his window mesmerized me. The unique atmosphere of Greece has created an unforgettable vacation that I want to repeat.

Last edited:
I have gotten the impression that people often try to do too much when they are in Greece. I have experienced the same feeling when I've taken other trips. Cruises with nonstop itineraries, planning a trip myself and trying to do too much - I want to feel refreshed when I vacation, and that I really got to know an area.

That being said, this is an excellent list. Thank you so much for weighing in! I have hard that the beaches near Athens are great and definitely worth visiting. I have some friends that visited Hydra, too, and said we should really make it a point to go, even if it is just for the day. I love the idea of gazing at the Acropolis from a rooftop bar! Do you have any to recommend?
My favorite rooftop bar is the Grand Bretagne Hotel in Syntagma Square. It is a bit upper class and expensive, but the service is outstanding. For a more casual option, I would recommend the A for Athens Hotel, which is right next to Monastiraki Metro Station.

Enjoy!

Everyone made some fantastic contributions! I am wondering if it might make sense for you to take a guided tour of some of the spots in the surrounded area that are further away, like Marathon. It might be an easy way to stay focused and if you have a knowledgeable guide you'll get more out of the experience.
I've done guided day tours of Epidaurus and Delphi, when I've entertained guests. They were actually great experiences and included lunch. Also, a nice option is a day cruise that includes Hydra, Poros and Aegina.

I appreciate everyone's feedback - thank you so much. You've all given me a lot to think about.

Greek Islands Food Tour?

I am a foodie and I love to cook. Does anyone know of any food tour situations that I can do in the islands, or maybe island hopping?

I am in the midst of planning an exciting adventure to Greece and am particularly interested in experiencing the country through its cuisine. I've heard that island hopping offers not just stunning views but also a taste of local flavors that differ from island to island.

With so many beautiful islands, from the renowned Santorini to the charming Skopelos, I'm looking for recommendations on food tours or culinary experiences that are part of island hopping packages. Any recommendations you may have would be great!

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Finding Good Food Tours of Greece?

I love Greek cuisine. I cook it all the time and I love trying new recipes. The time has come for me to think about planning a food tour! Does anyone have any advice?

I would love to hear from members of this forum about their experiences with food tours in Greece.
  1. Which regions or cities offer the best food tours?
  2. Any specific food tour companies or guides that you would recommend?
  3. What were some of the standout dishes or culinary experiences on your tour?
  4. Are there options for people with dietary restrictions, such as vegetarians?
  5. What should one expect in terms of cost and duration?
Any tips or advice on how to get the most out of such a tour would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back