1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I grew up eating all the traditional Greek dishes, and then some. As an adult, I have gotten away from it. To top that off, I lost my mother's recipes and I never properly learned how to cook Greek food when I was growing up. I am thinking of visiting Greece, particularly Athens, not only to see the sites but to also reconnect with Greek cuisine.

When I am in Athens, do you have any recommendations on the best foods to try - maybe a favorite restaurant or something? I don't know where to start!

k_tsoukalas

I would personally explore the world of street food. Let's see - when are you going? Here is some street food I enjoy in Greece depending on the time of year:

** Roasted Chestnuts
** Pitakia (I like cheese - tiropitakia)
** Roasted corn
** Gyros
** Kouloura
** Souvlaki

Does anyone have anything to add? I don't remember restaurant names at all!

View of the Acropolis from Thisseio

Thisseio is a great place for cafes and rooftop bars and restaraunts that have stunning views of the acropolis both during the day and at night. This picture was taken from Thisseio View, a cafe named perfectly for one of the best views in the city. The food is pretty good, nothing amazing but definitely worth going for a drink and a snack.
0B79373D-6706-4436-90F9-5EDB46B3B37E.jpeg

Check out this political tour of Athens

I stumbled upon this great social and political tour of Athens. Many people don't know the side of Greece, and it's extremely relevant. If you're interested in social issues or politics, I really recommend it. I didn't get the opportunity to actually do it myself, but there are really good reviews on Airbnb. The tour also gives you a taste of the different neighbourhoods in Athens, especially those that are relative to political movement such as Exarcheia.

These are the best hookah lounges in Athens

Hookah lounges are becoming more and more popular in Athens and Greece. Originally, this was an ottoman tradition that faded out. But now it’s coming back, as it is all over the world. Cigarettes and vaping are also pretty popular, so the tobacco culture is definitely there in Greece. The two larges that I recommend are Misafir and Hookaholic. I’ve been to both, and the vibes and service were great. I ordered food, and drinks, and Shisha and was very pleased. Definitely check them out next time you’re in the city.

Good Beaches to Visit Near Athens?

I am trying to plan a girl's trip to Greece and am fleeing out the details. We'd be flying in from the United States on the East Coast, as I am from Baltimore. So, it seems that we need to fly into Athens. Although Athens isn't planned to be our full vacation - we plan to head to one of the islands - I am thinking we should spend a few days in the city. That being said, we'd do all the usuals - see the historical sites like the Parthenon and all that. I was thinking we might want some beach time when we are in Athens to get us started. I heard there are some beaches nearby? Are any of them worth spending time at? We are looking for a beach with a bit of a scene - like an outdoor beach but maybe a nightclub nearby?

The real life of Athens is here’ – hidden gems beyond and beneath the Acropolis | Athens holidays |

Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter