1 - 16 of 16 Posts

knicks_fan87

Post your Athens pics!! I miss this city so much

athens.jpeg

These photos are from the bakery across the street from my home. I didn't know what I wanted for breakfast, so I took some pics for my wife to help
2rrepgx.jpg
PxDVgBu.jpg
QZFlLuD.jpg

Last edited:
These are some loukoumathes (also my favorite) I bought from a panigiri festival just outside of my house last year.
WSmDVsQ.jpg
ZYsjisu.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos of Athens (I am so hungry, right now too!) LOL. :)

Here is my favorite photo that I took last time I was in Athens:

IMG_7079-e1566512839187-720x960.jpeg

These photos are from the bakery across the street from my home. I didn't know what I wanted for breakfast, so I took some pics for my wife to help
2rrepgx.jpg
PxDVgBu.jpg
QZFlLuD.jpg
How I miss the Greek Bakery in Mykonou...❤️>>>>>They look delicious.. Efgharisto polee.❣️

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
2rrepgx.jpg
PxDVgBu.jpg
QZFlLuD.jpg
Eftina iney!...Dhen iney akriva Phedhia!❤️

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
Eftina iney!...Dhen iney akriva Phedhia!❤️
Etsi mpravo! Den pira tipota ap autes tis eikones.
How I miss the Greek Bakery in Mykonou...❤️>>>>>They look delicious.. Efgharisto polee.❣️
I love going to the bakery. I always get zamponotiropita (ham and cheese pie) when I go to the bakery.

Last edited:
Etsi mpravo! Den pira tipota ap autes tis eikones.

I love going to the bakery. I always get zamponotiropita (ham and cheese pie) when I go to the bakery.
2 for me also Para Kalllo polleeee!!❤️🤗

Here are photos I took in Athens last time I was allowed into Greece in 2019

Attachments

• DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    554.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    725.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    668.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 3
Here are photos I took in Athens last time I was allowed into Greece in 2019
Beautiful!! Do you plan on going again soon?

Reactions: Hash
Beautiful!! Do you plan on going again soon?
Yes but I currently live in Australia so I can't get out of the country. I have booked in my second vaccination for next week so I'm all ready to go when borders open again. I love Athens and live centrally when I go there. I can't wait to get back, walk down the streets of Athens and take in the sights and smells of the Athenian spring and summer. I expect that I will be able to travel next year and then I'll be going every year after that.

Do you go often or do you live there?

Reactions: Hash
Yes but I currently live in Australia so I can't get out of the country. I have booked in my second vaccination for next week so I'm all ready to go when borders open again. I love Athens and live centrally when I go there. I can't wait to get back, walk down the streets of Athens and take in the sights and smells of the Athenian spring and summer. I expect that I will be able to travel next year and then I'll be going every year after that.

Do you go often or do you live there?
I wish I lived there! I live in Tennessee but my family is Armenian. I have a few family members living in Greece and they speak so highly of it. I've only been a few times but I would love to go back, especially Athens :) I hope you're able to visit Greece again soon, if not this year then the next for sure!!

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis
I wish I lived there! I live in Tennessee but my family is Armenian. I have a few family members living in Greece and they speak so highly of it. I've only been a few times but I would love to go back, especially Athens :) I hope you're able to visit Greece again soon, if not this year then the next for sure!!
Where in Tennessee? I'm from Tennessee too.

Wow, thank you guys for sharing these pics! Here's one:

The-Parthenon-in-Athens-aerial-view-in-the-afternoon-720x479.jpg

Interesting Museums I Like in Athens

Athens is rich with museums but there are a few I keep visiting when I get the chance. I always learn something new! My favorite is the museum at the Acropolis, which has a lot of information and artifacts from the area. Here's my list:
  1. The Acropolis Museum: Dominating this list is The Acropolis Museum, built to house every artifact found on the sacred rock of the Acropolis, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. A splendid blend of modern and ancient architecture, it holds an incredible array of sculptures and artifacts, including the Caryatids and the Parthenon Frieze.
  2. The National Archaeological Museum: As the largest museum in Greece, this is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts. It boasts an extensive collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, spanning several millennia—pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and the Mask of Agamemnon.
  3. Benaki Museum: Representing various periods throughout Greek history, the Benaki Museum is a private foundation, nestled in the heart of downtown Athens. It offers a comprehensive view of Greek culture from its prehistoric times to the 20th century, with an emphasis on art and everyday objects.
  4. Museum of Cycladic Art: A unique gem in Athens, this museum is home to an exceptional collection of Cycladic art, mostly dating from the Bronze Age. These prehistoric sculptures, with their distinct minimalist aesthetics, are a fascinating window into the ancient Aegean world.
What museums do you like to visit in Athens?

My Favorite Things to Do in Athens

Athens is one of my favorite places to visit! It's so rich in history, culture, and even has a spirit of adventure. What I find most impressive are the ruins, museums, and other attractions. I thought I'd give list of my favorite places. What are your favorite places?

History

If you’re visiting Athens with history in mind, then it’s definitely worth exploring some of the most iconic landmarks such as The Acropolis – home to three remarkable buildings – the Parthenon temple dedicated to goddess Athena; Erechtheion shrine dedicated to god Poseidon; Temple of Athena Nike; Odeon Of Herodes Atticus theater known for its amazing acoustics; Ancient Agora – a large public square where people would mingle with traders and philosophers like Socrates who delivered his famous orations here; Stoa Poikile painted colonnade decorated by Polygnotos’ frescoes (5th century BC); Roman Forum with temples like Tower Of The Wind that originally served as an astronomical observatory.

Art

For art lovers looking for something more contemporary there are plenty of museums worth visiting such as National Archeological Museum which displays artifacts from all periods up to late antiquity era including treasures found during excavations at Delphi Oracle or Benaki Museum that houses more than 30 thousand Greek works from Byzantine period through modern era. If you have time make sure you check out Onassis Cultural Center which stages theatrical productions , concerts , exhibitions and workshops all year round . And don't forget Cycladic Art Museum founded by renowned sculptor Nicholas Tombazi displaying collections from Cycladic islands located near Athens (Aegina, Paros etc).

Food

Foodies will find Athens very appealing since it is one of Mediterranean's most vibrant cities when it comes to culinary scene aside from having traditional Greek staples such as Gyro souvlaki & Mousaka there are also amazing lobster restaurants located by sea overlooking Piraeus Harbor making sure locals can enjoy fresh seafood even during harsh winter season . Additionally Athenian street food vendors serve excellent dishes made on spot bound keep your energy levels up while walking around exploring various sites .

Leisure

Not only can visitors experience traditional greek hospitality but they also get pleasure out taking part in leisurely activities ranging anywhere between dancing at cultural festivals held throughout summer season (Athens Festival - June-July ; International Dance Festival - September) going go-karting racing at brand new tracks opening annually outside city limits or relaxing on surfing school courses ideal for beginner surfers starting their journey into discovering this extreme sport(Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre being operator).

What do you like to do in Athens?

Visiting the Cycladic Museum

Though I will be in Mykonos for a while when I come to Greece (soon!) I will have some time in Athens.

I will be tied up with wedding festivities on Mykonos, but I will have some time. So, I want to learn about the history and culture of the island. I know there has to be more to it there than all the parties and the beach scene.

I plan to visit the Cycladic Museum in Athens to get ready. Is there anything I should keep in mind while I explore the museum?

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Athens Nightlife Questions

I'm currently planning a trip to Athens, Greece, and I've heard so much about the nightlife there. I know that there is great nightlife here, I've just never done it.

Given the vast array of options, I'm reaching out to this community for personal recommendations and insights. What are your favorite nightlife spots in Athens? I'm interested in hearing about places that offer unique experiences, whether it's a bar, club, etc.

If you've had an unforgettable night out in Athens, please share:
  • Name of the place
  • What makes it stand out (music, drinks, crowd, view, etc.)
  • Any tips for newcomers (like dress code)
Also, if there are any must-know cultural etiquettes or tips for enjoying Athens' nightlife responsibly, I'd appreciate learning about those as well.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back