1 - 7 of 7 Posts

kcixcy

I am not sure I am up for an 11 mile hike (I think that is how long it is!). Do I need to hike the whole thing to take some great photos of the gorge? I am trying to picture what it is like there.

In another thread, someone said to take the ferry to Sfakia. I Heard that you can see some of it and only hike in a short way. Is that where most of the pretty photo opps are? I also heard great things about the beach in that village!

What do you guys think?

I've done this walk a few times and can say that the gorge becomes more interesting towards half way through to the end of the walk. So, if you are starting at the "land" end then you do have to do the whole walk. If you start at the beach end you probably have to still walk half way up and half way back. You are probably better off just doing it one way and when you get to the beach you can take a ferry back.
It all depends on how fit you are. I did it in my 20s and I didn't plan at all, I even didn't have walking shoes, just flip-flops. So, young and fit it's an easy walk in the beautiful natural environment with lots of fresh water springs along the way - bring a water bottle to fill up along the way.
I'm a lot older than that now but I still feel that I could do the walk but would need to make sure I have prepared with correct footwear, water, maybe a bit of food, etc. But still doable. It's a long walk but not a challenging walk in terms of the terrain.
It's up to you. You have to gauge your level of fitness. If you are ok walking for hours in a park at home, then you should be ok walking the Samaria Gorge.
Good luck! Let us know how you go!

No, you don’t have to walk the entire gorge. From Sfakia, you take the ANENDYK Ferries to Agia Roumeli. (Ferries also leave from the southern ports of Paleochora and Sougia.) “The Iron Gates” is the iconic photo of the Samaria Gorge and it is quite doable from Agia Roumeli. I don’t remember exactly how long it took, but there was plenty of time to walk, take photos, interact with the goats that greeted us (They especially love you if you’re carrying any kind of snack!), have a superb fish lunch, and catch the afternoon ferry back to Sfakia. Leaving Chania, Sfakia can be reached via public bus and the bus schedule is geared to the ferry schedule.(KTEL Chania)

Sfakia itself is also a convenient base; from there you can explore the incredible beaches of the South Coast and also drive up to the mountain villages like Anopoli. There are taxi boats that will take you to pristine beaches, better than the Sfakia town beach. Depending on when you go, be sure to catch any festivals that might be happening in either Sfakia or Anopoli; an experience like no other!

No, you don’t have to walk the entire gorge. From Sfakia, you take the ANENDYK Ferries to Agia Roumeli. (Ferries also leave from the southern ports of Paleochora and Sougia.) “The Iron Gates” is the iconic photo of the Samaria Gorge and it is quite doable from Agia Roumeli. I don’t remember exactly how long it took, but there was plenty of time to walk, take photos, interact with the goats that greeted us (They especially love you if you’re carrying any kind of snack!), have a superb fish lunch, and catch the afternoon ferry back to Sfakia. Leaving Chania, Sfakia can be reached via public bus and the bus schedule is geared to the ferry schedule.(KTEL Chania)

Sfakia itself is also a convenient base; from there you can explore the incredible beaches of the South Coast and also drive up to the mountain villages like Anopoli. There are taxi boats that will take you to pristine beaches, better than the Sfakia town beach. Depending on when you go, be sure to catch any festivals that might be happening in either Sfakia or Anopoli; an experience like no other!

Here’s a description of the Gates:
“One of the most showstopping parts of hiking Samaria Gorge is a stretch of the trail referred to as “the Gates.” This aptly-named part of the impressive hike denotes a slightly claustrophobic but impressive area where the sides of the gorge close in, leaving a gap of only four meters (13 feet) for hikers to slip through. This creates a lasting effect on those who navigate it, particularly as the gorge walls also reach straight up to 300 meters (980 feet) along this stretch.”

Either way you choose to do it, it will be a full day trip because the last part (ferry from Agia Roumeli and bus back to Chania) is the same. The Samaria Gorge is beautiful start to finish, so I think that it really depends on how much hiking you want to do and in what kind of weather. Summer temperatures can get very hot.

I know, I’m giving far too many replies, but you could also consider the shorter (3-4 hour) Aradena Gorge hike if you decide to base yourself in Sfakia for a few days. My photo was taken from the South Coast ferry. This gorge ends at Marmara Beach, near the lovely village of Loutro. You won’t be lacking for photo ops in the Prefecture of Chania…..or places to hike!

My sister and I did the whole Samaria Gorge hike - starting at the top and hiking to the bottom, to the beach. We shopped a bit in the village where I bought some delicious honey, then I fell asleep on a beach chair in the beautiful sunshine. The constant downhill didn't feel great on my knees but it was fine. At the time I think I may have been 39. My parents did some of the Aradena Gorge hike while sis and I were at Samaria and they loved it. Chania area is magical, I was only there for 5 nights during that trip and it wasn't enough!

I am leaning towards taking the ferry to the village and hiking in just a bit from that way - from what I understand, this is where all the best views are anyway?

Tips for visiting Elafonissi Beach?

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Crete and have been intrigued by pictures of Elafonissi Beach's pink sands and beautiful crystal blue waters. As I'm putting together my itinerary, I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community for some insider tips. Specifically, I'm looking for advice on the following:

• Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of day or year to visit Elafonissi Beach to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather?
  • Transportation: What are the best transportation options to reach the beach? Are there any recommended car rental agencies or public transport options?
  • Facilities: Does the beach have facilities like sunbeds, umbrellas, or cafes?
  • Local Eateries: Are there any must-try local eateries in the area that offer authentic Cretan cuisine?
  • Accommodation: Can you recommend any nearby accommodations ranging from budget to luxury?
  • Activities: Besides swimming and sunbathing, what other activities can one enjoy at or near Elafonissi Beach?
Also, are there any specific dos and don'ts or local customs I should be aware of while visiting Elafonissi Beach? Thanks in advance!

This is one of the photos I saw - it looks gorgeous there!

elafonissi-beach-crete.jpg

Favorite Museums on the Island of Crete

I love Crete - the history in particular fascinates me. I thought I'd share my favorite museums to visit. I am not usually a museum person, but these are interesting to me.

Heraklion Archaeological Museum

If you want to delve deep into Crete's ancient history, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum should be your first stop. This museum houses one of the most impressive collections of Minoan artifacts in the world, including pottery, jewelry, frescoes, and statues. I love learning about the Minoans!

Nikos Kazantzakis Museum

The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum is dedicated to the life and works of the famous Cretan writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis. The museum is located in the village of Myrtia, where Kazantzakis was born and raised. This one is a quick one to go through, but is super interesting.

Historical Museum of Crete

The Historical Museum of Crete in Heraklion offers a comprehensive view of the island's history and culture from the early Christian era to the present day. The museum has exhibits on ancient and medieval Crete, the Cretan Renaissance, and the island's role in the Greek Revolution. The history of this island is pretty rich!

Lagoons of Crete?

I'm planning a trip to Crete and I'm absolutely captivated by the idea of visiting its stunning lagoons. From what I've gathered, these natural wonders are not only a feast for the eyes but also offer unique experiences in terms of swimming, snorkeling, and just soaking in the breathtaking views.

I've heard about the famous Elafonissi and Balos lagoons, but I'm curious if there are other lesser-known lagoons on the island that are worth exploring. Additionally, I'm interested in any tips or advice on the best times to visit, how to get there, what to expect, or any other suggestions that could help make my visit as enjoyable as possible.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on where to stay nearby these lagoons or any local eateries to try out, that would be fantastic! I'm eager to experience Crete not just as a tourist, but through the eyes of those who know it best.

What to do in Agios Nikolaos?

I'm planning a trip to Agios Nikolaos in Crete, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience traveling there. It looks charming - I am basically here with a group of friends who wanted to see the area. I have been to Crete but never to this particular place, so I just want to get a feel for what to do here.

Some thoughts about what I can do:

- I think there's an archeological museum here that might be worth seeing.
- Is it worth taking a little trip to Spinolonga?
- I know there are some great beaches and shopping!

Anything specific you can recommend?

Visiting the Minoan Palaces on Crete Question

I am planning a trip to Crete, specifically to explore the ancient Minoan palaces, which have been on my bucket list for years. I've always been fascinated by the history and myths surrounding the Minoans, and I'm eager to see the remnants of this great civilization first-hand. However, I want to ensure that my trip is as enriching and smooth as possible, so I’m reaching out for some advice.

1. Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of year for visiting these sites in terms of weather and avoiding large tourist crowds?
  2. Must-See Palaces: Of course, the Palace of Knossos is at the top of my list, but I’d love to know if there are other Minoan palaces or sites that are equally worth exploring.
  3. Guided Tours vs. Solo Exploration: Are there benefits to opting for a guided tour of these palaces, or would I have a more personal and fulfilling experience exploring on my own?
  4. Transportation Tips: What's the best mode of transportation for getting around to these different sites? I'm wondering about rentals, public transportation, or any local tips on moving around the island.
  5. Local Insights: Any suggestions for local restaurants or cafes near these sites? I’m also interested in any cultural norms or tips that might help me respect and understand the local customs better.
Thanks in advance! I know there's a few - and Knossos Palace is one of them. There are others, like Malia. I would be interesting in seeing any of them because I am a history buff.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back