1 - 3 of 3 Posts

redsoxdw_

Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Athens and getting an Airbnb on Ermou Street. I was a bit hesitant at first because I was worried about the loud nightlife at night, but it was probably one of the best decisions I could ever make. It was in a great location and very close to Monastiraki, Plaka, and the Acropolis of course. I really recommend it. Hermou is super safe and there is always great restaurants nearby for breakfast!

Ermou street is supposed to be great, especially for those who like Nightlife. I would definitely consider staying there.

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Fun Side Trips While Staying in Athens

I've been to Athens. I have done side trips from Athens. Still, I love Rick Steve's work and I found this interesting! He visited some of the places I've seen, but frankly, he made me want to see them again. This was a fun watch!

One of the places I haven't been that he mentioned is Hydra. Such a cool-looking place.

Public Transportation System in Athens

Can anyone give me some advice on the public transportation system in Athens, Greece?

I will be staying in Piraeus but will need to get around. I'll want to visit Acropolis area, as well as several other of the Athens neighborhoods.

My Favorite Things to Do in Athens

Athens is one of my favorite places to visit! It's so rich in history, culture, and even has a spirit of adventure. What I find most impressive are the ruins, museums, and other attractions. I thought I'd give list of my favorite places. What are your favorite places?

History

If you’re visiting Athens with history in mind, then it’s definitely worth exploring some of the most iconic landmarks such as The Acropolis – home to three remarkable buildings – the Parthenon temple dedicated to goddess Athena; Erechtheion shrine dedicated to god Poseidon; Temple of Athena Nike; Odeon Of Herodes Atticus theater known for its amazing acoustics; Ancient Agora – a large public square where people would mingle with traders and philosophers like Socrates who delivered his famous orations here; Stoa Poikile painted colonnade decorated by Polygnotos’ frescoes (5th century BC); Roman Forum with temples like Tower Of The Wind that originally served as an astronomical observatory.

Art

For art lovers looking for something more contemporary there are plenty of museums worth visiting such as National Archeological Museum which displays artifacts from all periods up to late antiquity era including treasures found during excavations at Delphi Oracle or Benaki Museum that houses more than 30 thousand Greek works from Byzantine period through modern era. If you have time make sure you check out Onassis Cultural Center which stages theatrical productions , concerts , exhibitions and workshops all year round . And don't forget Cycladic Art Museum founded by renowned sculptor Nicholas Tombazi displaying collections from Cycladic islands located near Athens (Aegina, Paros etc).

Food

Foodies will find Athens very appealing since it is one of Mediterranean's most vibrant cities when it comes to culinary scene aside from having traditional Greek staples such as Gyro souvlaki & Mousaka there are also amazing lobster restaurants located by sea overlooking Piraeus Harbor making sure locals can enjoy fresh seafood even during harsh winter season . Additionally Athenian street food vendors serve excellent dishes made on spot bound keep your energy levels up while walking around exploring various sites .

Leisure

Not only can visitors experience traditional greek hospitality but they also get pleasure out taking part in leisurely activities ranging anywhere between dancing at cultural festivals held throughout summer season (Athens Festival - June-July ; International Dance Festival - September) going go-karting racing at brand new tracks opening annually outside city limits or relaxing on surfing school courses ideal for beginner surfers starting their journey into discovering this extreme sport(Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre being operator).

What do you like to do in Athens?

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back