1 - 7 of 7 Posts

efhernandez_

Has anyone ever been? I'd love some traveling tips!

fiskardo.jpg

I haven't been myself, but I've heard amazing things. The village is very much based around its waterfront with many private yachts and small fishing boats. I would love to sit at small waterfront restaurants and enjoy the food and beautiful views. It seems like one of the nices spots on the island! I would totally visit.

Reactions: paharo45
Fiscardo is absolutely beautiful, with a good variety of restaurants and bars. The waterfront is so pretty, with all the boats bobbing around and the colourful venetian buildings, and good food can be found everywhere. Prices are a little higher than other villages on the island, but worth it for the beautiful surroundings and stunning views of Ithaca and Lefkado. Some really nice hotels there too. My personal favourite is the Hotel Almyra, which is a 15 min uphill walk from the village, but is absolutely lovely and has wonderful views. Can't fault it!

Reactions: paharo45
Fiscardo is absolutely beautiful, with a good variety of restaurants and bars. The waterfront is so pretty, with all the boats bobbing around and the colourful venetian buildings, and good food can be found everywhere. Prices are a little higher than other villages on the island, but worth it for the beautiful surroundings and stunning views of Ithaca and Lefkado. Some really nice hotels there too. My personal favourite is the Hotel Almyra, which is a 15 min uphill walk from the village, but is absolutely lovely and has wonderful views. Can't fault it!
So true, prices are a little higher but totally worth it. Greece is still quite affordable in comparison to other tourist destinations. You can always haggle at stores (but not too much, you should still pay people what they're worth).

I have actually never been but from what I understand, scuba diving is a popular activity in the area. In general, Kefalonia is known for being a stunning place with a lot of natural beauty, so no matter where you go on the island, there is always a great outdoor activity to try.

Greek-landscape-720x482.jpg

Favorite village on the island, so beautiful there! my screensaver is from there

Reactions: efhernandez_
Favorite village on the island, so beautiful there! my screensaver is from there
Do you mind sharing the picture? I'd love to see what the village looks like

What to do in Faskardo Village on Kefalonia

I visited this village once maybe eight years ago and I want to go back. I have some notes about the things to do there. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Did I miss anything? I want to take my family there because I found the place to be really beautiful.

• Stroll the Waterfront Promenade: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the picturesque harbor with its array of colorful fishing boats and yachts.
  • Explore Historical Venetian Architecture: Take in the charming Venetian-style buildings that survived the 1953 earthquake, giving Fiskardo its unique character.
  • Relax at Foki Beach: Spend a day sunbathing and swimming in the serene bay of Foki, surrounded by olive groves and cypress trees.
  • Join a Boat Tour: Embark on a boat excursion to discover remote beaches, hidden coves, and the stunning coastline around Fiskardo.
  • Visit the Fiskardo Nautical and Environmental Museum: Learn about the maritime history and natural environment of the region through engaging exhibits.
  • Hike to the Lighthouse: Follow the scenic trails leading out of Fiskardo to the iconic lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of the sea.
What did I miss? Anyone have any restaurants to recommend?

Top Attractions in Kefalonia

Planning a trip to kefalonia next year. I want to see the turtles - I was thinking of going at the end of June. Does this make sense to see the turtles?

In addition I want to see the following - did I miss anything?

- Melissani Cave
- Skala Beach (and other beaches)
- Castle of Agios Georgios

Anything else I should prioritize?

Information about caving at Melissani Cave

I'm thinking of visiting Melissani Cave over the summer when I am in Kefalonia. I thought I'd share some information I found about it:

Melissani Cave is a hidden gem of Kefalonia, a Greek island situated in the heart of the Ionian Sea. This naturally occurring underground wonder was discovered only in 1951 after an earthquake's destruction revealed its existence. The entrance of the cave is camouflaged by dense forest, which makes entering the cave feel like an adventure on its own. Once inside, the view of the water is nothing short of breathtaking.

Due to the wide gaps in the cave's ceiling, sunlight floods in, giving the illusion of an emerald turquoise color. Such stunning natural beauty is hard to come by, and the Melissani Cave is the perfect venue for adventurers who want to experience something different.

Melissani Cave is home to a network of underground waterways that lead to the beautiful Melissani Lake. The lake's crystal clear water is naturally heated and is perfect for a refreshing dip, but before you jump in, please heed the safety guidelines and adhere to the do's and don'ts. The atmosphere in the cave is wet and humid, contributing to the growth of exotic plants and animals. It's an excellent opportunity to see different kinds of wildlife, so keep your eyes peeled for bats, snails, and eels.

The cave's interior is relatively spacious, so feel free to enjoy a leisurely stroll, savoring the beauty of the rock formations that have been formed over millions of years. This breath-taking scenery is the perfect background for some epic photos to share with your friends back home.

Immersing yourself in the cave's mystical ambiance is an experience like no other. We recommend that you go on a guided tour with experienced caving professionals who can provide you with interesting information about the cave's geological history, making your exploration more meaningful and memorable. The guided tour is equally safe and allows you to bask in the cave's ambiance thoroughly. Corrosion caves, such as the Melissani Cave, require a cautious approach to protect yourself and the cave's ecosystem. So, remember to go with a professional guide even if you have experience in caving/speleology.

Always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia...

I have a bucket list of going to Kefalonia while the turtles are on the beaches. I love turtles and this seems like a really beautiful thing.

I found this video that talks about them. It's not quite seeing them in person, but it was informative. Thought I'd share:

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back