1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

My first attempt at making my own Ek Mek Kataifi was a disaster.

It was runny!

How do people really make it? I had someone try to explain It to me, and I am sure I didn't remember properly. I like it fluffy and creamy!

I suspect my whipped cream wasn't airy enough OR I didn't fold it in properly. Has this happened to anyone?

Reactions: Voula
My vote is that something went wrong with the whipped cream. Not only does it have to be airy, but it has to be folded properly. I am pretty sure that the whipped cream should be at the "stiff peak" stage.

I had the same issue. It ended up being that I didn't beat the whipped cream enough. I did it to "soft peaks" and then by the time I folded the other ingredients in, the cream sort "deflated".

My first attempt at making my own Ek Mek Kataifi was a disaster.

It was runny!

How do people really make it? I had someone try to explain It to me, and I am sure I didn't remember properly. I like it fluffy and creamy!

I suspect my whipped cream wasn't airy enough OR I didn't fold it in properly. Has this happened to anyone?
Hi! I have a tried and trusted recipe foro Ekmek Kataifi, complete with step-by-step picture tutorials and lots of tips and tricks to make it a success! Here's my Ekmek recipe, let me know if you try it!

Most iconic dishes in Greek cuisine?

I love cooking Greek and I have my favorites and so does my family. We love - spanakopita, avgolemono, souvlaki, keftedes, dolmades, yemista, and I few more. I am curious, which dishes are iconic and you can't live without?

I’d love to hear your recommendations, especially for:
  • Traditional main courses
  • Must-try appetizers
  • Desserts that are quintessentially Greek
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Tips for working with phyllo?

I'm planning to make some traditional Greek dishes and I've decided to tackle working with phyllo dough for the first time. I've heard it's quite delicate and can be tricky to handle, so I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience.

What are the best tips for keeping the phyllo sheets from tearing? Should I work with them straight out of the fridge, or let them come to room temperature first? Any recommendations for the best brands to buy or tips for homemade phyllo? Also, how do you keep the dough from drying out while you're working with it?

I’m aiming to make spanakopita and baklava, so any specific tips for these recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!

Gluten Free Pastries in Greek Cooking?

I'm looking to make some traditional Greek pastries, but I need them to be gluten-free. Has anyone here tried this before? Specifically, I’m interested in making gluten-free versions of popular pastries like baklava, kourabiedes, or loukoumades.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Flour Alternatives: What gluten-free flour works best for these recipes? Almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free baking mix?
  2. Texture and Taste: How do the gluten-free versions compare to the traditional ones in terms of texture and taste?
  3. Recipe Adjustments: Are there any specific adjustments or tips for adapting these recipes to be gluten-free without compromising too much on authenticity?
  4. Personal Favorites: Does anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free Greek pastry recipe they would recommend?
I appreciate any advice or recipes you can share. This is a pretty tricky thing to navigate.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back