1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

The anthem is actually a poem! The Greek National Anthem was written by the famed poet, Dionysios Solomos, in 1823. He was born and raised in Zakynthos, but his family were refugees from the island of Crete. As a member of a prominent wealthy family, Dionysios was well educated, which eventually drove him to become a poet. Although he studied abroad in Italy for several years, he eventually penned his poems in his native Greek language.

The Hymn to Liberty wasn’t the only poem he wrote, but it is the most famous. He wrote in a specific style, which is referred to as the Heptanese Style of poetry that originated from the Heptanese School of Literature, or literally the Literature School of the Seven Islands. It is also referred to as the Ionian School.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is more information about the history of the Greek national anthem:

History of Phyllo Dough?

I have been trying to reconnect with Greek cooking for a while now, and the thing I am working on now are the phyllo dishes - like pita and baklava. Phyllo is delicious, but it can also be tricky. During the whole process I have been curious - where did phyllo come from? I found some sources, but it's hard to really understand the true origin:

Many seem to claim that it came from different places. I have heard theories about it coming from Ancient Greece, Byzantine Empire, Medieval Turkey (but wait wasn't this Byzantine?).... What do you guys think?

More than one Minoan Palace on Crete?

I didn't realize that Knossos wasn't the only Minoan Palace on Crete, but from what I understand it might be the largest?

I am planning a trip to Crete soon to see some of the ruins and here is where I plan to visit - did I miss anything?

1. Archaeological Museum of Athens
2. Knossos Palace
3. Malia
4. Phaistos
5. Zakros

Are there any other museums I should visit? I am learning about Minoan culture...

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Fascinated by Minoan culture and I want to learn more...

I am festinated by the Minoan culture. I saw photos of the Knossos Palace, as well as some of the Frescos, and I realized that I want to learn more about them. I know, I can read history books or look it up online. But, I am talking about experiencing it first hand. Do you guys have any recommendations? I was thinking to visit Crete and seeing some of the ruins... are there any tours you can recommend?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube