1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

I heard that the National Theater is beautiful. I have never been! Thank you for sharing the info about it...

Reactions: greek_ggirl
This really is a fantastic venue and such an interesting place to watch a movie. I recommend it!
Greece has amazing movies, especially recently. One of my favourites is Amerika Square

New Year's Celebration in Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know what is going on in Thessaloniki for New Year's? There's a chance I could be in the city this year during it and I want to get a feel for what to expect. I went to Greece to visit some family over Christmas.

I heard that they light fireworks at midnight somewhere? Is this true? I'll be visiting some people, so I am assuming they know what is going on, but I want to have a general feel for it.

Some cities have a big celebration outside. I didn't know if Thessaloniki was one of those places.

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

Will only have a few hours in Thessaloniki...

I am going to Thessaloniki in the late summer (I forget the dates). It's a stop on a Greek cruise. I have been to Greece a lot before but have never done a cruse. I have also never been to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions as to what I can do with my time while I am here? I will be doing a tour of another stop the day prior, so for Thessaloniki I am thinking I just want to explore.

Best Photo Opportunities in Thessaloniki?

I am going to visit Thessaloniki soon, and I thought I would make a list of great places to take pics in the city. Here's what I have so far:

The White Tower (Lefkos Pyrgos): Iconic and unmistakable, the White Tower offers panoramic views. It's a great backdrop for a photo.
Ano Poli (Upper Town): This part of the city feels like stepping back in time. With its traditional houses, Byzantine walls, and cobblestone streets, Ano Poli is the place to capture the soul of Thessaloniki.
The Waterfront Promenade: Stretching over 5 kilometers, the promenade is teeming with life and offers diverse photographic opportunities. There's so much here!
Aristotelous Square: The architectural marvels surrounding this spacious square provide a beautiful urban backdrop. The blend of neo-classical buildings with modern life creates a lively setting for street photography.
Rotunda and Galerius Arch (Kamara): Ancient Roman ruins right in the heart of the city offer a unique contrast between old and new. Capture the intricate details of these historic sites, or focus on their interaction with the daily life of locals and tourists alike.
Modiano and Kapani Markets: For those interested in capturing the vibrancy of local life, the bustling markets of Modiano and Kapani are perfect. The array of colors, textures, and candid human moments make every shot dynamic.
Thessaloniki’s Museums and Art Galleries: While the exteriors of these buildings are architecturally beautiful, the real treasures can be found inside. They are perfect for those who love capturing the beauty of art through their lenses.

Can you guys think of anything else?

What are your favorite things to do in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Thessaloniki next year. I am trying to think of what to do. I just want a rough idea so I can figure out how many days to spend.

Here's what I was thinking for some activities, but I want to know your recommendations:
  • Taking a walk along the beautiful waterfront promenade
  • Exploring the historical White Tower
  • Savoring delicious Greek cuisine at the local tavernas
What activities or spots would you recommend? I'm interested in everything from cultural experiences, food destinations, hidden gems, to some relaxation spots. And of course, if there are any events or local gatherings happening, I'd be thrilled to join and immerse myself in the local culture.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back