1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

Who knew chestnuts could be made into a salad!! I love making this during the winter months :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound chestnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon fresh, chopped sage
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Lettuce leaves, for serving
  • Lemon wedges, to garnish
The recipe is super simple, all you do is mix the roasted chestnuts with the rest of the ingredients and you're all set!! Enjoy

Kastana-Salata-720x480.jpg

k_tsoukalas

I adore roasted chestnuts. Any opportunity I have to cook with them or incorporate them into foods I eat is a winner! This recipe looks delicious.

Info about the Greek Mediterranean diet

I love Greek food and I am trying to stay healthy and lose weight. So, I have been following a healthy lifestyle and trying to adopt the Mediterranean diet. I noticed that some Greek foods are kind of meat oriented, but I have realized that a lot of these foods aren't eaten every day. So, I have been researching. Here are some resources I found:

I would love to find some other resources. Share them if you know them!

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

Making a List of Healthy Greek Dishes to Cook at Home

It's still summer, and there is plenty of fresh produce left to eat. I think about the time I have spent in Greece and how healthy I have felt eating that way, and I want to replicate this while home outside of Greece. So, I thought I would make a list of some of my favorite, healthy Greek dishes. Please share yours, too!

1. Village salad (choriatiki)
2. Lentil soup (fakes)
3. Chicken souvlaki (I don't put a lot of olive oil in the marinade)
4. Eggplant spread (melitzanasalata)
5. Dolmades - stuffed grape leaves
6. Spanakorizo (spinach rice)

I am curious - which healthy Greek dishes do you like the best?

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter