1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

Hi guys! First time visitor to the Ionian islands here! What should I get a taste of in Corfu? Any tips?

Reactions: redsoxdw_
I really loved sofrito when I visited, it's a really tasty veal dish. They had it at almost every taverna, because it's one of the most popular dishes. You should really try it!!

Hello, some of the most well known dishes are:
Sofrito, one of the trademark dishes of Corfu. It basically consists of fried thin slices of beef cooked with white sauce, garlic, pepper, white wine, vinegar and parsley. It is served with a side of mashed peas or potatoes.
Pastitsada, with beef meet that is initially cooked with oil, spices, onion, garlic and red wine. After that, cinnamon, nutmeg, laurel, fresh tomato, tomato paste and sugar are added. It is served with pasta and grated cheese and bourdeto that is made with various types of fish. The fish is cooked with onion, red pepper and lemon juice.
Dont forget to try koum kouat that is a liker made from the koum kouat tree indigenous only in Corfu

The cuisine of Corfu is interesting because there are some unique elements to it, compared with the rest of Greece. The island was under Venetian occupation for a while, and it is also fairly close to Italy. As a result, this has impacted the cuisine. Pastitsado is one of the dishes that you should try. It's a pasta dish that is made with rooster that has been braised in a flavorful tomato sauce.

Favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard that Corfu is lovely and worth visiting. I love the beach, and I heard there are some great beaches here.

Do you have a favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard great things about Paleokastritsa, Sidari, and Kontokali.

Also, is the island big? If I stay on the Western side, is it logical to be able to travel around, or should I go somewhere more centrally located?

Video Tour of Corfu

When I am about to visit a destination, I like to watch video content.

It has been a while since I have been to Corfu. I kept trying to go, but it keeps falling through.

Ignore the several-minutes long plug for a product! That part I know was necessary because they were a sponsor.

Once you get through that the content is good!

Island day trips from Corfu?

I'm currently planning a trip to Corfu and am eager to explore as much as I can in the surrounding areas. I am planning to stay put for the whole time I am in Greece, but I want to do a bit more besides visiting Corfu itself.

I'm particularly interested in:
  • Islands that are easily accessible from Corfu.
  • Recommendations for how to get there (ferry schedules, private boat hires, etc.).
  • Must-see sights or activities on these islands.
Also, if there are any local delicacies or specialties on these islands that I shouldn't miss, I'd love to hear about those too!

Planning What to See in Corfu

I've been to Corfu plenty of times. I am writing down some of my notes so that I can sort out what I want to see next time I visit. I have friends there and might visit again next year...

Old Town Corfu - It's a NESCO World Heritage Site and has an impressive collection of Venetian-era buildings, narrow streets, and hidden alleys. It is also home to the imposing Old Fortress, Esplanade, and there architecture of the Liston and Palace of St. Michael and St. George.

Beaches - The Blue Caves on the northern coast of the island are a must-visit attraction and can only be accessed by boat but are worth visiting. Once there, swim in the sparkling blue waters surrounded by towering cliffs.

Dishes to Try - Sample local dishes like Pastitsada (beef stewed in tomato sauce), Sofrito (thinly sliced veal with parsley and garlic sauce), and Bourdeto (fish in a spicy red sauce). Also drink ouzo or tsipouro, two popular spirits.

Achilleion Palace - Located seven kilometers south of Corfu Town. Built as a summer residence for Empress Elizabeth of Austria. The palace has gorgeous architecture, beautiful gardens, and exceptional views of the surrounding countryside. I have taken a tour - not sure I'd do it again.

Anyone have any good Tavernas to recommend?

Achillon Palace Information

When I was asking for advice on how many days to spend on Corfu someone mentioned to see the Achilon Palace. So I thought I'd gather information about it.

Located in Corfu, Greece, Achillon Palace is a fascinating monument that attracts a large number of tourists every year. This beautiful palace is perched on a hilltop overlooking the stunning Ionian Sea. The palace was once the residence of Empress Elizabeth of Austria, who was captivated by the natural beauty and elegance of the island and decided to build a palace there in the 1800s. Today, the palace is a popular tourist attraction that is renowned for its stunning architecture, beautiful gardens, and breathtaking views. In this blog, we'll explore everything you need to know about the Achillon Palace in Corfu.

Achillon Palace is a historical monument that was built in the late 19th century by Empress Elizabeth of Austria. This stunning palace was designed by a famous Italian architect, Raffaele Caritto. The architecture of the palace is inspired by ancient Greek mythology with stunning neoclassical features and mythological sculptures. The interior of the palace features elegant furniture, beautiful chandeliers, and stunning paintings on the ceilings and walls.
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back