1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Any wine recommendations for Santorini? I’ll be visiting soon and I want to see what all the hype is about and get a taste of the wines from the source!! Any winery tips would also be appreciated!

For me Best wine of Santorini is Assyrtiko.
One of the Best wineries in the island is Boutari

For me Best wine of Santorini is Assyrtiko.
One of the Best wineries in the island is Boutari
I'll have to visit Boutari on my next trip! Thanks for the tip

Reactions: Stratos Morfis
I'm not a huge wine drinker myself but my husband loves Santorini wines, especially the white ones. I believe those are the most popular from the island. When we went a few years ago, we were able to visit a few wineries and do some taste testings. It was so worth it and I highly recommend going to visit a winery, especially if you want to see the whole process and learn about the ones that you're drinking.

The best Santorini wines are (in my opinion) Vinsanto and Assyrtiko. The Assyrtiko is so popular that I can even find it on my local liquor store. It tastes amazing with fish too!! Check it out for sure.

Reactions: Stratos Morfis
The most common santorini varieties are assyrtiko and nuxteri.18 wineries in Santorini provide a huge variety of options.Sigalas- xatzidakis and venetsanos wineries are some of the best.Also make sure you try the visanto variety which can only be found in Santorini.(sweet wine)

Can you spend a week in Santorini?

I will be going to Greece next year and someone I am traveling with is obsessed with photos of Santorini and wants to go.

From what I can gather, most people say just to spend a few days and then move on, but this person is pushing for a longer stay.

Is there enough to do on Santorini so that spending a week or more makes sense? She wants to enjoy the sunsets, the food (I heard the food is better in other parts of Greece), and beaches (I also heard that there aren't as many beaches).

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks lovely, I just feel deep down that a week might be too long.

Staying in Pyrgos?

Thank you to your advice, I am looking into staying in Pyrgos or other inland place that is slightly "off the beaten track" in Santorini to minimize some of the frustration of being in the crowds. We will be traveling during peak season.

Does anyone have an advice as to where to stay? As mentioned in a previous post, my wife is pushing for a Caldera hotel - but they're so expensive and we're traveling with the whole family. If I can find a compelling hotel that is more inland, it might work out for us to stay there. It doesn't have to be Pyrgos - but something similar would be good...

pyrgos-santorini.jpg

Volcanic Hot Springs in Santorini?

Does anyone know if it is possible to go in the water in the area with the volcano? I heard of some people going in the water on tour excursions but I question if that is a regular occurrence. Also, are those considered the volcanic hot springs or are the real hot springs in another area?

I plan on doing something like his when I am in Santorini, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Oia Santorini Sunset Cruise

I found this video of a sunset cruise in Oia on Santorini and I am intrigued! I'll share the video, and I am curious if any of you have tried this. I had a terrible experience fighting for a standing spot last time I was in Oia.

Dealing with the crowded sunset on Oia

I tried to see the sunset on Oia - I was only there for a day. It was sooo crowded it was nuts.

I do want to give Santorini another chance but I need help finding a different sunset spot. I ended up watching the sunset by a dumpster - and it felt good enough.

I just don't know what to do - there was NO WAY I was going to be able to see it in Oia with how many people there were.
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back