1 - 6 of 6 Posts

nadellii

Personally, I have to say baklava or kaïmaki. For those of you that haven’t tried kaïmaki, I highly recommend it. It’s a traditional Greek ice cream made from masticha. You can find it at most Greek grocery stores and ice cream stores. What is your favorite Greek ice cream flavor?

k_tsoukalas

Personally, I have to say baklava or kaïmaki. For those of you that haven’t tried kaïmaki, I highly recommend it. It’s a traditional Greek ice cream made from masticha. You can find it at most Greek grocery stores and ice cream stores. What is your favorite Greek ice cream flavor?
I had kaïmaki once and it was delicious! That might be my favorite since it's so interesting.

I like the citrus based ice creams, like lemon is a personal favorite. Sooo good!

Reactions: xmelissaa

xmelissaa

I like the citrus based ice creams, like lemon is a personal favorite. Sooo good!
I find that there aren't many of these in Greece, I've seen many pagotinia with vanilla and chocolate.

Reactions: GreekGirlCooks
I find that there aren't many of these in Greece, I've seen many pagotinia with vanilla and chocolate.
Agreed, I see lemon only sometimes, and when I do it's a real treat! By far the most common flavors I see are vanilla and chocolate. I recall there was a lot of gelato in Greece, too, similar flavors as in Italy.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

Agreed, I see lemon only sometimes, and when I do it's a real treat! By far the most common flavors I see are vanilla and chocolate. I recall there was a lot of gelato in Greece, too, similar flavors as in Italy.
Yes, although I prefer Italian gelato and ice cream over everything! They can't be beat!

Best way to grow oregano indoors?

Now that it is getting colder I want to still have fresh oregano. I took my plant that I have on the patio during spring and summer inside and placed it on a windowsill. I am worried I am going to kill it! There's nothing like fresh oregano and this is the first time I have taken the plant in during winter. I am concerned it's not getting enough sun, and that I might be over or under watering it. When the plant is outside, I actually don't touch it and it thrives. It gets water when it rains, sun when the sun is out... I don't even have to move it. Now, the plant is starting to look a little sick. I love fresh oregano in my Greek recipes!

What if I don't have Greek yogurt?

I don't always have Greek yogurt on hand. I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I need it. I do, however, tend to have plain, regular yogurt.

Can I substitute that in recipes if I make something Greek at the last minute?

I have heard of some people straining it through cheesecloth. If you guys recommend I do that, How long does it need to strain?

Making the Greek roasted corn street food at home...

I know that corn is a bit out of season now, but I thought I'd ask a bit in advance. How do you make the Greek street corn? I love it, and would love to replicate it at home.

How about roast it, brush it with olive oil/butter, maybe some oregano, garlic, feta cheese? I do like hot red pepper - does that make sense to put in it?

Can You Think of Any Greek Dishes with Mushrooms?

So, I am still learning my way around Greek cuisine. I love mushrooms and I have yet to find any Greek dishes that include mushrooms. I know that they are found in Greece and you can buy mushrooms in the markets. I saw a segment on TV (I don't remember where) about a mushroom farmer in Greece, and I know people regularly forage for mushrooms in the wild.

What do people in Greece usually do with these mushrooms? I can't really find much online. Do people substitute it for meat? Cook it with meat? Put them in salads?

Moussaka Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorite Greek dishes is Moussaka, but I don't make it at home a lot. One of the issues is that I haven't found a great recipe, and I know that working with eggplant can be tricky. In the past, people have tried to explain to me how to make it, but their explanations have been confusing. I need a proper recipe that is easy to understand. It looks like Chef Pemi put together a great version of it that even someone like me, who has been intimidated by making my own moussaka, can follow. Not only that, but it looks yummy!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

moussaka-recipe.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube