1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This question is out of pure curiotisty! What do my fellow Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving? Do you eat turkey? Do you even celebrate?

ellinasgolfer0320

I was born and raised, for the most part, in America. Why wouldn't I celebrate it? Of course I eat turkey. There is nothing in the Orthodoxy that prevents me from eating it. I celebrate it like other Americans.

Reactions: efhernandez_

lalajess

This question is out of pure curiotisty! What do my fellow Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving? Do you eat turkey? Do you even celebrate?
I am a Greek- American. My family does a lot of the American-traditional stuff (like serving a turkey, pumpkin pie, that kind of thing), but we also add some favorite Greek dishes. My family "stuffing" involves rice, allspice, and chestnuts and I have heard many Greek Americans say they serve the same thing. I don't even know what it is or what the origin is. Last year, we served spanakopita for an appetizer, and Ek Mek Kataifi for dessert alongside pumpkin and apple pie. For the record, the Ek Mek actually stole the show!

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great question!

Not sure on the Greek Canadian side of things, but here is some information about how Greek Americans celebrate Thanksgiving:

efhernandez_

I am a Greek- American. My family does a lot of the American-traditional stuff (like serving a turkey, pumpkin pie, that kind of thing), but we also add some favorite Greek dishes. My family "stuffing" involves rice, allspice, and chestnuts and I have heard many Greek Americans say they serve the same thing. I don't even know what it is or what the origin is. Last year, we served spanakopita for an appetizer, and Ek Mek Kataifi for dessert alongside pumpkin and apple pie. For the record, the Ek Mek actually stole the show!
I loooove ek mek kataifi!! Is there any recipe that you used that you could divulge for us?

lalajess

Patisqua

We Australian Greeks do not have Thanksgiving. BUT in 2006 we were in New York. My sister and I went to the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Didn't realise how freezing cold it was, left my gloves behind. A vey kind lady next to me gave me her leg warmer as my hands had turned purple. We had dinner at our cousin's in Astoria. They had everything (turkey, stuffing, lamb, chicken) as they didn't know what we would eat. We had to say what we were thankful for. Our Mum and Aunt very tearfully said that we were there to join them. And we were very, very grateful and thankful.

Reactions: francescool

francescool

We Australian Greeks do not have Thanksgiving. BUT in 2006 we were in New York. My sister and I went to the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Didn't realise how freezing cold it was, left my gloves behind. A vey kind lady next to me gave me her leg warmer as my hands had turned purple. We had dinner at our cousin's in Astoria. They had everything (turkey, stuffing, lamb, chicken) as they didn't know what we would eat. We had to say what we were thankful for. Our Mum and Aunt very tearfully said that we were there to join them. And we were very, very grateful and thankful.
Sounds beautiful. Kudos to your family for making so much food, that is truly the Greek way, making sure that everyone is taken care of

Check out Pentozali, the traditional dance of Crete

Pentozali is such a unique and beautiful dance. It is very traditional, and requires a decent amount of skill (especially if you want to do the tricks that you see in the video)

Enjoy!

Sunday’s Greek song: prodigious Greek Roma performer Kostas Hatzis and grand dame Marinella sing about love & how in its light everything is pure & true to the lyrics of Sotia Tsotou off the 1976 live album “Recital"

What do Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving?

Ever wonder what a traditional Cretan wedding is like?

Wonder no more! This is a stunning and super traditional Cretan wedding where the bride and groom are wearing traditional clothes (pretty rare these days). Enjoy!

This is what a Greek Orthodox baptism looks like!

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter