1 - 6 of 6 Posts

auroracoor1

As I have been researching Greek food, culture, and recipes I came across information about the cuisine of the island of Crete, which looks to be a bit different than the rest of Greece. Is my impression true? Here are some of my observations:

** The food is ultra fresh and most people eat seasonally. I know, this is typical of all of Greece, but the climate on Crete makes the food supply pretty diverse so it stands out with this island

** The cuisine seems to have had influences from various places through the centuries, both because of various groups occupying Greece, such as Venetian and Ottoman, and also because of trade and its location - the island is pretty far south

** There are some interesting and unique food specialties, like dakos, koukouvagio (some type of salad), and other food items...

So, when traveling to Crete it looks like the cuisine is a big part of those travels. What do you guys think? Any other advice you can give? I think I might go to Crete in the near future to explore these ideas.

Reactions: Laura48
I was there for a relaxing week in September so didn’t have the opportunity to eat much outside of the resort apart from a day trip to Heraklion. While there, husband had an olive and tomato pastry and I had apple bougatsa at a gorgeous vegan cafe. Dakos was easy to find and in the past I’ve been given little goats cheese or cherry pies as snacks when having drinks, all delicious 😋

Reactions: auroracoor1
Every region in Greece will have its own unique cuisine, depending on what’s available, historic and/or geographic influences, and local custom. However you are absolutely correct, Crete does have a particularly long growing season, a strong multicultural influence in its cuisine, and a great interest in farm-to-table food. If that is a special interest of yours, then by all means….visit Crete! Our favorite prefecture is Chania, where I highly recommend Dounias, a farm-to-table taverna just past the Therisso Gorge. You’ll find great seafood along the harbors and wonderful meats & home cooking up in the mountain villages like Afrata and Anopolis. There are also weekly open-air markets, organized food tours, olive & cheese factory tours, vineyards, a Xarma brewery, and the wonderful Botanical Gardens which offers a beautiful walk through an amazing variety of trees, plants, and herbs…..all food served there is strictly farm-to-table. Mizithra is a very special Cretan cheese. If you order a Greek salad, it’ll come with feta. If you order a Cretan salad, it’ll come with mizithra. (Speaking of salads, “koukouvagia” means “owl” in Greek. Could that have been the name of a restaurant and not a particular salad?)

My advice would be to avoid the high tourist area places found everywhere in Greece that promote picture menus and use undue pressure to get you to come inside. Be sure to get out and explore on your own as an independent traveler. Also as you do your research…this is the most important….learn the Greek names for food and dishes. That way you can request a non-tourist, Greek menu and can be assured that you’re getting all of the very best that the restaurant has to offer. Your effort to do this will definitely not go unnoticed! Authenticity is what you’re after; not just an Americano coffee, club sandwich, or huge English breakfast! You could spend months exploring Crete and armed with the research that you’re doing now and a great “theme” to your travels, I think that you would have a fantastic time and would get to interact with local people who love to show off their culinary skills and produce. The Cretan people wrote the book on φιλότιμο (quickly defined as hospitality) and when you meet them over a shared interest, you’ll see exactly what I mean….friends and memories for life. Sorry - I’ve written a book! Suffice it to say that Crete is a good choice!!!

Reactions: auroracoor1
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses! Deborah, I don't mind that it was a book - I loved it. So helpful! It's funny that you mentioned Theriso - someone JUST mentioned that place to me a few hours ago. I definitely need to visit, I feel like it's meant to be now. It seems like one can explore Crete for days or weeks and never really experience everything.

Try years 😳….23+ years for me and I STILL want to return, so be sure to give yourself enough time there! Glad my comments helped!

I love Cretan cuisine. Everything I ate in Crete was a home run. Many of the dishes are the same as they are throughout the rest of Greece, and some of it is different. I love Dakos, for example, and I don't see that in the rest of Greece. I guess it just depends. There were other influences on Crete than there might have been elsewhere in Greece.

List of foods to try on Crete

Crete is one of my favorite islands - and I plan to visit again in a few months. I thought I would make a list of some of the foods I definitely plan to eat when there.

The of you who know about the island, do you have anything to add?

• Dakos
  • Horta
  • Cretan "pitakia" (in the turnover dough)
  • Horiatiki
  • Pizza (sounds silly, but I love eating Pizza on Crete LOL)

Priorities for exploring Chania's old town?

I’m planning a trip to the enchanting old town of Chania and I’ve heard so much about its rich history and vibrant culture. With so many intriguing options, I find myself grappling with where to begin and how to prioritize my time effectively.

For those who have experience of Chania—what would you say should be at the top of my list?

My interests range broadly, from historical landmarks, museums, and art galleries, to culinary delights and local crafts. I’m particularly fascinated by the blend of architectural styles and cultural influences evident in Chania.

Thanks in advance!

chania-crete.jpg

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

Lagoons of Crete?

I'm planning a trip to Crete and I'm absolutely captivated by the idea of visiting its stunning lagoons. From what I've gathered, these natural wonders are not only a feast for the eyes but also offer unique experiences in terms of swimming, snorkeling, and just soaking in the breathtaking views.

I've heard about the famous Elafonissi and Balos lagoons, but I'm curious if there are other lesser-known lagoons on the island that are worth exploring. Additionally, I'm interested in any tips or advice on the best times to visit, how to get there, what to expect, or any other suggestions that could help make my visit as enjoyable as possible.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on where to stay nearby these lagoons or any local eateries to try out, that would be fantastic! I'm eager to experience Crete not just as a tourist, but through the eyes of those who know it best.

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back