1 - 2 of 2 Posts

d_kakavouli

I want to start being more mindful about eating seasonally. It's winter where I live - what's in season now? What I can think of:

1. Brussels Sprouts: Brussels sprouts are small, nutty-flavored vegetables that have a distinctive taste. They can be roasted, stir-fried, or steamed and make a great side dish to any meal.

2. Winter Squash: From butternut to spaghetti squash and pumpkins, winter squash is abundant in winter. They’re perfect for hearty soups, stews, and salads.

3. Pears: While pears are available year-round, they’re at their best during winter. They’re sweet and juicy and make a great addition to any fruit salad or baked good.

4. Citrus Fruits: Oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are at their peak during winter. They’re packed with vitamin C, which is essential for boosting your immune system during the cold and flu season.

5. Cranberries: Cranberries are tart and tangy and add a festive touch to any dish. They’re perfect for sauces, jams, dressings, and desserts.

6. Cabbage: Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes. It’s rich in vitamins and fiber, making it a healthy addition to your winter meals.

7. Carrots: Carrots are not only rich in vitamin A, but they’re also sweet and delicious. They make a perfect snack, side dish or ingredient for soups and stews.

8. Root Vegetables: From beets to turnips, root vegetables are perfect for roasting or boiling. They’re delicious, filling, and packed with essential nutrients.

9. Broccoli: Broccoli is a nutritious and tasty vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.

10. Kale: Kale is a nutrient powerhouse that’s available all year round. It’s a great source of iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C.

This is how they eat and cook in Greece, and I want to experiment with it.

This is a really good list! Mine:

- Cabbage - I love cabbage this time of year
- Stews - Greek meat stews are perfect now, like stifado
- Citrus - They have been tasting great - I think they're in season
- Root vegetables - they are available year round but seem to taste better lately

What are 5 ingredients of Greek cuisine you can't live without?

I am working on stocking a better pantry for cooking Greek foods, but I thought I'd do something fun.

I would love it if you could share with me your top five staple ingredients for Greek cuisine and maybe a little but about why.

I am going to share mine to get things started:

1. Feta Cheese - Of course! Greek food wouldn't be the same.
2. Phyllo - I have learned that I won't make my own, so I have to keep it on hand.
3. Greek olive oil - I should have put this first! I can't live without olive oil lol
4. Greek oregano - I bring a bunch back from Greece or order it online when I run out. Nothing beats it!
5. Greek olives - I like to keep 2-3 different types on hand - I get these from a local Greek store.

What are your choices?

greek-pantry-items.jpg

Greek pita bread?

I like to make gyros at home but I am having a heck of a time finding the right bread for it where I live.

There is a store near me but they haven't been getting the bread I normally use in.

I thought maybe I would make my own - but I am not the best bread maker. I also don't trust recipes I see.

I don't want it to be the wrong kind of bread. I want it to be soft. I guess I have two questions -

1. maybe I can buy the bread online? Do you know where? and 2. Do you have a recipe you can recommend?

Learning about Greek wines

Greek wines offer a window into the country's rich traditions. I have been taking the time to learn more about it lately!

Greek wine history dates back over 4,000 years, intertwined with myths and traditions where wine was celebrated as a gift from the gods. Today, Greece's unique climate, diverse soils, and indigenous grape varieties contribute to the production of wines with distinct character and quality.

Indigenous Varieties to Know:
  1. Assyrtiko: Originally from Santorini, this white grape is all about minerality, crisp acidity, and lemony flavors, making it a perfect companion for seafood.
  2. Agiorgitiko: One of the most important red varieties, primarily grown in the Peloponnese. It produces wines ranging from soft and fruity to full-bodied and age-worthy.
  3. Xinomavro: Often referred to as the "Barolo of Greece," this red grape from Northern Greece offers complex aromas and a strong tannic presence, ideal for aging.
  4. Moschofilero: A highly aromatic white variety, yielding wines that are fresh and floral with lively acidity, hailing from the cool-climate region of Mantinia.
  5. Retsina: While not a grape variety, no discussion on Greek wine can be complete without mentioning Retsina, a traditional white or rosé wine flavored with pine resin. A contemporary approach to Retsina has given it a much-needed makeover, making it an intriguing option worth revisiting.

Did I miss any wines? I am guessing I did...

greek-wine.jpg

What is tsipouro?

Today, I'm curious to learn more about a Greek spirit that's caught my attention — Tsipouro. Often mentioned alongside other legendary beverages like Ouzo, Tsipouro seems to be a significant part of Greek culinary and social tradition, yet it doesn't seem to have the same international fame.

From what little I've gathered, Tsipouro is a strong distilled spirit made from grape pomace, the residue left after wine production. But my understanding barely scratches the surface. I am curious first of all if this is the same thing as Raki on Crete. Also, on Crete I had Raki with honey - can you do that with Tsipouro?

tsipouro-greek-spirit.jpg

What are your favorite vegetarian foods in Greek cooking?

Greek cooking is renowned for its \use of fresh herbs, vegetables, and grains, making it a paradise for those who prefer plant-based meals. Yet, when we think of Greek cuisine, dishes like gyros and souvlaki often take the spotlight. But there's so much more to Greek food than meat-centric dishes, and I'm on a quest to discover your favorite vegetarian delights that Greece has to offer!

From the creamy delicacies such as fava and tzatziki to hearty mains like gemista (stuffed tomatoes and peppers) and spanakopita (spinach pie), I'm eager to learn about the dishes you've fallen in love with. Perhaps you have a cherished recipe passed down through generations, a memorable meal from a trip to Greece, or even a favorite Greek vegetarian dish you've mastered at home.

Feel free to share your thoughts! My personal favorites are lentil soup, spanakorizo, and tzatziki (but this isn't a vegan choice)... I know some vegetarians can have dairy.

Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back