1 - 2 of 2 Posts

d_kakavouli

I want to start being more mindful about eating seasonally. It's winter where I live - what's in season now? What I can think of:

1. Brussels Sprouts: Brussels sprouts are small, nutty-flavored vegetables that have a distinctive taste. They can be roasted, stir-fried, or steamed and make a great side dish to any meal.

2. Winter Squash: From butternut to spaghetti squash and pumpkins, winter squash is abundant in winter. They’re perfect for hearty soups, stews, and salads.

3. Pears: While pears are available year-round, they’re at their best during winter. They’re sweet and juicy and make a great addition to any fruit salad or baked good.

4. Citrus Fruits: Oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are at their peak during winter. They’re packed with vitamin C, which is essential for boosting your immune system during the cold and flu season.

5. Cranberries: Cranberries are tart and tangy and add a festive touch to any dish. They’re perfect for sauces, jams, dressings, and desserts.

6. Cabbage: Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes. It’s rich in vitamins and fiber, making it a healthy addition to your winter meals.

7. Carrots: Carrots are not only rich in vitamin A, but they’re also sweet and delicious. They make a perfect snack, side dish or ingredient for soups and stews.

8. Root Vegetables: From beets to turnips, root vegetables are perfect for roasting or boiling. They’re delicious, filling, and packed with essential nutrients.

9. Broccoli: Broccoli is a nutritious and tasty vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.

10. Kale: Kale is a nutrient powerhouse that’s available all year round. It’s a great source of iron, calcium, and vitamins A and C.

This is how they eat and cook in Greece, and I want to experiment with it.

This is a really good list! Mine:

- Cabbage - I love cabbage this time of year
- Stews - Greek meat stews are perfect now, like stifado
- Citrus - They have been tasting great - I think they're in season
- Root vegetables - they are available year round but seem to taste better lately

How to perfectly grill souvlaki?

I'm planning to grill some souvlaki this weekend, and I want to make sure I get it just right. I've heard that the key to perfect souvlaki is all in the marinade and grilling technique. Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or recipes they'd be willing to share?

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on:
  • Marinade ingredients and timing: How long should I marinate the meat, and what are the essential ingredients?
  • Grilling technique: What's the best way to achieve that perfect char without drying out the meat?
  • Skewers: Any tips on the best type of skewers to use? Should I soak wooden ones?
  • Sides and sauces: What are your favorite accompaniments to serve with souvlaki?
I appreciate any help you can offer!

Advice for Making Taramasalata from Scratch?

I'm hoping to get some advice on making taramosalata from scratch. I've tried a few recipes, but I can't seem to get the texture and flavor just right. Here are a few specific questions I have:
  • Which type of roe should I use? I've seen recipes that use carp, cod, and even bottarga. Does it make a significant difference in taste and texture?
  • What's the best method for achieving a smooth consistency? My attempts often turn out a bit too lumpy or grainy.
  • Any tips on balancing the flavors? Some batches come out too salty or too bland. What's the ideal ratio of roe to other ingredients like lemon juice and olive oil?
  • Do you have any secret ingredients or techniques? I've read about people adding things like bread or potatoes. How do these additions affect the final product?
I'd love to hear your suggestions or see your tried-and-true recipes. Thanks in advance for your help!

Recipe for Grilled Hallloumi Cheese

I love to grill and this recipe is simple and easy, and complements most grilled meals very well! I serve this with a squeeze of lemon.

Ingredients:

• 8 oz (225 g) halloumi cheese
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Optional: a pinch of chili flakes
  • Fresh herbs (parsley, mint, or dill) for garnish
  • Lemon wedges for serving
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Halloumi:
    • Remove the halloumi cheese from its packaging and pat it dry with a paper towel.
    • Cut the halloumi into 1/2-inch thick slices.
  2. Marinate the Cheese:
    • In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of black pepper (and chili flakes if using).
    • Brush both sides of the halloumi slices with the olive oil mixture. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
  3. Preheat the Grill:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, heat it over medium-high heat until hot.
  4. Grill the Halloumi:
    • Place the marinated halloumi slices on the grill or grill pan.
    • Grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is golden brown and has grill marks. Be careful not to overcook, as halloumi can become rubbery if left on the grill for too long.

Fresh Ingredients in Greek Cuisine?

I've recently developed a keen interest in Greek cuisine and I'm curious about the role of fresh ingredients in traditional Greek dishes. From what I've seen and read, it seems like fresh, high-quality ingredients are crucial for achieving the authentic flavors of Greek meals.

I have a feeling that it is the freshness of the ingredients that really makes Greek cuisine special. The problem is, I am trying to figure out how to recreate that in the United States where I live. I know I can have a garden, but besides that, what other advice do you have? I could always go to farmer's markets...

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back