1 - 3 of 3 Posts

redsoxdw_

I have some Greek recipes that call for Mahlepi (in Greek) - also known as Maheleb and other names, depending on the language. I have recently found a source near me - a place where I can buy it - so I can try some of the recipes.

I also did some research about what it is! Thought I'd share:

This unique spice has its roots in the fragrant cherry plums of the Prunus mahaleb tree in the Middle East. The seeds inside these little fruits are ground to make the mahleb spice that we've come to love.

Mahleb hits you with a sweet, floral scent, and a flavor that's a mix of bitter almond and cherry, with just a touch of spice. It's a star player in Greek baked goods like tsoureki, a sweet bread that's a staple during Easter but is also used in many other pastries and breads.

Reactions: Voula
I have some Greek recipes that call for Mahlepi (in Greek) - also known as Maheleb and other names, depending on the language. I have recently found a source near me - a place where I can buy it - so I can try some of the recipes.

I also did some research about what it is! Thought I'd share:

This unique spice has its roots in the fragrant cherry plums of the Prunus mahaleb tree in the Middle East. The seeds inside these little fruits are ground to make the mahleb spice that we've come to love.

Mahleb hits you with a sweet, floral scent, and a flavor that's a mix of bitter almond and cherry, with just a touch of spice. It's a star player in Greek baked goods like tsoureki, a sweet bread that's a staple during Easter but is also used in many other pastries and breads.
Yes! Mahleb is ground cherry stone from St. Lucy’s cherry trees, which are popular throughout the Mediterranean. I mention in my post for Tsoureki, which is where it's most commonly used here in Greece!

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
I love the first moment of opening the bottle of mahleb. I never realized it's from a cherry tree, and I can totally see it - or rather smell it lol.

What I love about Mahleb is its subtle yet distinctive flavor that can transform simple baked goods into delightful pastries with a hint of exotic sophistication. It's not overpowering, which makes it a perfect partner to ingredients like almonds, sesame, and even cheese in pastries.

I use it in tsoureki of course but have experimented with it in other pastries - mainly cakes. I've also snuck a little bit in my baklava filling! It's delightful - I really like experimenting with it. I also discovered it pairs well with chocolate. I tried it in tiro pita once - it was good - and I've used it in cheesecake.

Drinking Olive Oil: Health and Beauty Elixir or Celebrity Fad?

This will I hope generate a healthy discussion amongst the readership here!I have been drinking Pure Olive oil 0.3% Acidity (Not cheap!) for many years, not everyday as I alternate with Pure Organic Sesame oil and Organic first pressed Coconut oil as well....and I also forget to be honest even when all the bottles are staring at me!!😁😁... Since there are many members here I am interested to hear how many drink olive oil and the benefits to their wellbeing?!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and a heatwave no one can imagine for 5 months without a drop of rain!
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...Reporter+Daily+News+Simple&utm_term=Read+More

Can you use frozen vegetables for Greek dishes?

There are two Greek dishes that I enjoy a lot and like to make a lot - fasolakia and the baked vegetables with the variety.

It's not always realistic for me to make them, though, because of the vegetable situation.

Is it okay to use frozen veggies? These are washed and chopped - they're basically ready to go - so it would save me a lot of time!

fasolakia-greek-food.jpg

Salt Cod in Greek Cooking?

How is salt cod, or Bakaliaros, used in Greek cooking? I remember my grandmother using it and I forget for what...

Could anyone share what specific dishes in Greek cuisine feature salt cod as the key ingredient? How is it typically prepared and served in Greece? Are there any traditional recipes or unique cooking methods that highlight the flavor and texture of salt cod in Greek cooking? I know a lot of other cultures use it, too.

I believe understanding the culinary uses of salt cod in Greece could offer deeper insights into the country’s culture and traditions. Plus, it would be great to try and replicate some of these dishes at home!

Creative ideas for Easter lamb leftovers?

We cooked too much Easter lamb than we needed and have a ton leftover. I am sure I am not the only one! I am brainstorming ways to use the leftovers. Do you guys have anything to add?

1. Gyros with lamb (Tzatziki and all the trimmings!)
2. Lamb sandwiches
3. Stir fries
4. Lamb in rice and tomato sauce
5. Wraps
6. Omelets and scrambles (think steak and eggs, but with Greek flavors and of course lamb instead of steak)

grilled-lamb-chops.jpg

Best Greek seafood dishes for summer grilling?

Summer is in full swing, and what better way to enjoy the season than firing up the grill? Which seafood dishes perfect for grilling. Greek cuisine's blend of fresh ingredients, herbs, and spices makes it an ideal choice for light, summery meals, and I'm eager to hear your recommendations.

Do you have favorite Greek seafood recipes or dishes that shine especially bright when cooked over an open flame? Whether it's a classic recipe or a personal twist on traditional fare,I know about things like grilled octopus marinated in olive oil and oregano to the simplicity of shrimp saganaki.

Additionally, if you have preparation tips, marinade secrets, or any advice on grilling seafood the Greek way, please share. Thanks so much!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back