1 - 4 of 4 Posts

blopez34

Hey guys, I'm thinking of traveling to Corfu for my next vacation, but I don't know too much about the island. Before traveling I really like to learn about the places that I'm visiting so I have some cultural context. What is a culture like? How does Corfu differ from the other Greek Islands? Can anyone give me some insight?

Reactions: mastichas09
I love that! It's pretty rare that people want to learn about the culture of a specific Greek island before visiting. Corfu is pretty unique because it's one of the few islands and regions of Greece that wasn't dominated by Turkish rule. Because of that, the island has a lot of Venetian and Byzantine influence. Which makes the architecture and culture pretty unique. I mean just look at this picture:

corfu-greece-250x154.jpg

Reactions: mastichas09
There's a lot of literary history in Corfu. One of Greece’s most famous poets, who also wrote the national anthem lived there for a long time. His name was Dionisis Solomos.

Corfu has less of the white 'sugar cube' houses that you see on a lot of Greek islands, much of the UNESCO World Heritage protected old town and villages are Venetian in style. The island is greener than most other Greek islands, it gets more rain. The food and music culture, religious and family life is similar to most of the rest of Greece, there are lots of traditional and orthodox religious festivals in the communities, local food and wine of course features heavily!
They have a long tradition of catering to tourism and international visitors, their hospitality is second to none!

Favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard that Corfu is lovely and worth visiting. I love the beach, and I heard there are some great beaches here.

Do you have a favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard great things about Paleokastritsa, Sidari, and Kontokali.

Also, is the island big? If I stay on the Western side, is it logical to be able to travel around, or should I go somewhere more centrally located?

Recommendations for the best hikes on Corfu?

I'm currently planning a trip to the beautiful island of Corfu and have heard that it's a paradise for hikers and nature lovers alike. With its stunning landscapes, the Ionian sea's mesmerizing views, and lush trails winding through ancient olive groves, I'm eager to explore some of the island's best hiking trails.

That being said, I'm reaching out to this wonderful community for the insights and experiences of those who have tread these paths before me. Whether you're a seasoned hiker or someone who enjoys leisurely walks amidst nature, I would love to hear your recommendations on finding a good hiking trail. I'd prefer it to be scenic, and it shouldn't be too hard. Other than that, I am open to just about anything!

Thanks in advance!

Planning What to See in Corfu

I've been to Corfu plenty of times. I am writing down some of my notes so that I can sort out what I want to see next time I visit. I have friends there and might visit again next year...

Old Town Corfu - It's a NESCO World Heritage Site and has an impressive collection of Venetian-era buildings, narrow streets, and hidden alleys. It is also home to the imposing Old Fortress, Esplanade, and there architecture of the Liston and Palace of St. Michael and St. George.

Beaches - The Blue Caves on the northern coast of the island are a must-visit attraction and can only be accessed by boat but are worth visiting. Once there, swim in the sparkling blue waters surrounded by towering cliffs.

Dishes to Try - Sample local dishes like Pastitsada (beef stewed in tomato sauce), Sofrito (thinly sliced veal with parsley and garlic sauce), and Bourdeto (fish in a spicy red sauce). Also drink ouzo or tsipouro, two popular spirits.

Achilleion Palace - Located seven kilometers south of Corfu Town. Built as a summer residence for Empress Elizabeth of Austria. The palace has gorgeous architecture, beautiful gardens, and exceptional views of the surrounding countryside. I have taken a tour - not sure I'd do it again.

Anyone have any good Tavernas to recommend?

Religious Sites to See on Corfu

There are a lot of churches and monasteries in Corfu and when I visit, I won't have a lot of time. What should be my priorities?

I am intrigued by the relics of Saint Spyridon but am having trouble finding where they are on the island. Is it simply called, the Shrine of Saint Spyridon?

I would love to visit some other churches and monasteries if possible. Any information you have will be good!

Unesco World Heritage Sites of Corfu

I'm currently planning a trip to the beautiful island of Corfu and I'm keen on visiting some of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites that are located there. Being a bit of a history buff, I believe that exploring these sites can give me a deeper understanding of the island's cultural heritage and historical significance.

Could anyone here share more information about the UNESCO site on Corfu? Is there only one? The Corfu Old Town? What should I prioritize to see in Old Town?

Thanks!
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back