1 - 10 of 10 Posts

xmelissaa

I just wanna join in on the fun but Im not too coordinated. Whats best to learn first?

Reactions: Hash
Sta tria, sta dyo, or a tsamiko from thessaly (it's slow unlike how tsamiko is danced in the Peloponnese). Ignore the name "Syrto sta dio" - no one says that, we say "sta dio". You can figure out sta tria and tsamiko on your own by searching videos without instruction, but incase you can't here are some videos. When watching someone dance you want to learn the steps don't look at the leader, look at thes second (sometimes third) person who is after the leader. This is because the leader will usually do figoures (stunts), the second person supports the leader, and the third person is the one who is actually keeping the pace for everyone else.

Something you will notice in the sta tria video is that the men are lifting their foot in the air, and the women are touching their toe to the ground. That's because traditional dances requires men to dance like men and women to dance very ladylike.

Last edited:
Reactions: nm1999
Sta tria, sta dyo, or a tsamiko from thessaly (it's slow unlike how tsamiko is danced in the Peloponnese). Ignore the name "Syrto sta dio" - no one says that, we say "sta dio". You can figure out sta tria and tsamiko on your own by searching videos without instruction, but incase you can't here are some videos. When watching someone dance you want to learn the steps don't look at the leader, look at thes second (sometimes third) person who is after the leader. This is because the leader will usually do figoures (stunts), the second person supports the leader, and the third person is the one who is actually keeping the pace for everyone else.

Something you will notice in the sta tria video is that the men are lifting their foot in the air, and the women are touching their toe to the ground. That's because traditional dances requires men to dance like men and women to dance very ladylike.

Yeah this seems pretty simple :) I might give it a try somtime

The zybeikiko was for me the easiest because you can actually just do what you want, as long as you put some Greek "touches" on it...

This is a great instruction video - it's all in Greek though!

The zybeikiko was for me the easiest because you can actually just do what you want, as long as you put some Greek "touches" on it...

This is a great instruction video - it's all in Greek though!

You can do anything you want as long as you dance on beat. Many people dance zeibekiko wrong because they don't know the beat. You can see Christos and his wife dancing on beat - ironically, despite being famous for dancing, they're counting the beat wrong (it's counted to 9, but his wife only counts to 2). That said, she may only be counting to 2 for simplicity???

Reactions: francescool
You can do anything you want as long as you dance on beat. Many people dance zeibekiko wrong because they don't know the beat. You can see Christos and his wife dancing on beat - ironically, despite being famous for dancing, they're counting the beat wrong (it's counted to 9, but his wife only counts to 2). That said, she may only be counting to 2 for simplicity???
Hmmmm....does it work if you count to 2??

Hmmmm....does it work if you count to 2??
The way his wife did it it does. Below, I put how she counted, and in parenthesis I wrote the Greek numbers that should be counted because you're supposed to count to 9 (some Greek numbers represent 2 beats and some numbers represent 1 beat. The numbers that represent two beats will be separated by a dash to break down the word into syllables, or you will see two numbers next to each other)

1-2 (ε-να. 1)
1-2 (δυο τρια. 2 and 3)
1 (τεσσερα. 4)
1-2 (πε-ντε. 5)
1-2 (εξι εφτα. 6 and 7)
1 (οκτω. 8)
1 (εννια. 9)

Last edited:
Reactions: seleanor
The way his wife did it it does. Below, I put how she counted, and in parenthesis I wrote the Greek numbers that should be counted because you're supposed to count to 9 (some Greek numbers represent 2 beats and some numbers represent 1 beat. The numbers that represent two beats will be separated by a dash to break down the word into syllables, or you will see two numbers next to each other)

1-2 (ε-να. 1)
1-2 (δυο τρια. 2 and 3)
1 (τεσσερα. 4)
1-2 (πε-ντε. 5)
1-2 (εξι εφτα. 6 and 7)
1 (οκτω. 8)
1 (εννια. 9)
Okay this totally makes sense now, thank you!! I'll just use my own count and I think I should be fine. I do need some practice lol

My Greek isn't perfect, so I know they said something about women dancing zeibekiko (In the beginning of the video I think). Its traditionally a male dance right? But women can also dance it? Are there different ways for women to dance?

I noticed that!!! LOL It drove me crazy a little, but realized they were dancing on the beat. And you're right, there's a notion of "catching the beat" with that dance that not everyone seems to do... For me, that level of understanding of the dance came with experience.

Reactions: paharo45
I noticed that!!! LOL It drove me crazy a little, but realized they were dancing on the beat. And you're right, there's a notion of "catching the beat" with that dance that not everyone seems to do... For me, that level of understanding of the dance came with experience.
You're right, I think the more you dance the more you will get the hang of it

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back