1 - 5 of 5 Posts

mastichas09

I know Athens has a fabulous subway system, but I don't know much about Thessaloniki....is it easy to get around using buses? Is there even a subway? I don't plan on renting a car but I'd love to explore some of the key spots on the outskirts of the city that are difficult to get to on foot.

Reactions: dubai_suzie
Reactions: nm1999
It's very easy to get around, as long as you figure out how to navigate the map. It's pretty reliable, too, and I've never had a problem. If you have a specific destination in mind, though, you might want to consider getting a taxi. Not every place is easy to get to using transportation.

Reactions: nm1999
It's very easy to get around, as long as you figure out how to navigate the map. It's pretty reliable, too, and I've never had a problem. If you have a specific destination in mind, though, you might want to consider getting a taxi. Not every place is easy to get to using transportation.
I would recommend getting data on your phone (if you have a smart phone) and using it for navigation. Google maps in Greece is pretty accurate

I would recommend getting data on your phone (if you have a smart phone) and using it for navigation. Google maps in Greece is pretty accurate
I second this advice! Google Maps is pretty good - I used it last time I was in Greece a few years ago and it worked well.

Seeking the Best Mezze Spots in Thessaloniki

I am looking for recommendations. I am going to Thessaloniki in the spring and I want to visit a taverna or restaurant that has great Mezze!

If you've had an unforgettable meze experience in Thessaloniki, please share! I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Your favorite spots for meze in the city
  • Must-try dishes
  • Any tips for a truly authentic meze dining experience
I appreciate any guidance you can provide to help me (and fellow food lovers) compile a list of must-visit meze destinations in Thessaloniki.

Why So Many Starbucks in Thessaloniki?

I was in Thessaloniki this past summer and I noticed more than one Starbucks. Why are there so many?

Not only that, but I am curious if the Greek population has embraced it and if they're popular.

Lots of people were in all that I saw, but I couldn't tell if it were Greeks, tourists, students, etc...

I had thought that Greek coffee drinks were different, and I had no idea Greeks liked coffee like this!

New Year's Celebration in Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know what is going on in Thessaloniki for New Year's? There's a chance I could be in the city this year during it and I want to get a feel for what to expect. I went to Greece to visit some family over Christmas.

I heard that they light fireworks at midnight somewhere? Is this true? I'll be visiting some people, so I am assuming they know what is going on, but I want to have a general feel for it.

Some cities have a big celebration outside. I didn't know if Thessaloniki was one of those places.

Will only have a few hours in Thessaloniki...

I am going to Thessaloniki in the late summer (I forget the dates). It's a stop on a Greek cruise. I have been to Greece a lot before but have never done a cruse. I have also never been to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions as to what I can do with my time while I am here? I will be doing a tour of another stop the day prior, so for Thessaloniki I am thinking I just want to explore.

Food Specialties of Thessaloniki?

I am looking into regional cuisines in Greece and I am actually going to Thessaloniki at some point this year to visit some people. What are some unique dishes, and maybe concepts, that may the culinary food scene here unique?

From my initial research, I understand that Thessaloniki is known for its vibrant markets, exceptional seafood, and sweet treats. However, I'm eager to dig deeper and explore the authentic local specialties that this city has to offer. I believe that the best way to experience a new culture is.

What are some dishes I should look out for? Or maybe some ingredients, too?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back