1 - 6 of 6 Posts

nadellii

I know that many European countries are very different than the university and college system in the United States. What is the process for entering into a university in Greece? And are the universities and colleges open to international students? I would love to hear from any Greek students or international student studying in Greece.

In high school you start preparing for panellinies (similar to the ACT/SAT for college) about 1-2 years in advance. Panellinies is a series of 4-5 tests that you're required to take to get into college, but the path you choose to study in high school determines the type of subjects on your tests for Panellinies. Your overall score on panellinies will determine which college and ultimately what career you have. A medical school will say "we only accept a panellinies score of 20" and a school to become a police office might have a score of 15. After you receive your score, in August you will check to see what scores each college is requiring for admittance into the school - each year this score changes because it's based on how everyone does in Greece that year. The max score is 20.

What's different about Greece than other countries like the USA, AUS, or CAN is that you don't need an undergraduate degree to become a doctor or a lawyer. Once you graduate high school, and if your panellinies score is high enough, you can go straight to medical school or law school.

Can international students go to college in Greece? Yes, but most colleges will require you to speak fluent Greek, but there are some colleges that are English speaking (e.g. American College of Thessaloniki).

Ask away with questions. My SO, took panellinies, went to college in Greece, and graduated from a college there. She graduated a few years ago, so she's fairly up-to-date on how the system works.

Also, something random, you can legally drop out of school at 15 in Greece and not finish high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: acamp7
I heard that in the last year of high school there is a big final test, there are final tests in the other years too or just in the last one?
Also what university faculties there are in Athens?

Reactions: acamp7
I heard that in the last year of high school there is a big final test, there are final tests in the other years too or just in the last one?
Also what university faculties there are in Athens?
Yes, this test is called the "panellinies" that is mentioned above. I'm not sure if it is in the last two years or just the last one...I think they have changed it a few times throughout the years.

Reactions: Damiano
In high school you start preparing for panellinies (similar to the ACT/SAT for college) about 1-2 years in advance. Panellinies is a series of 4-5 tests that you're required to take to get into college, but the path you choose to study in high school determines the type of subjects on your tests for Panellinies. Your overall score on panellinies will determine which college and ultimately what career you have. A medical school will say "we only accept a panellinies score of 20" and a school to become a police office might have a score of 15. After you receive your score, in August you will check to see what scores each college is requiring for admittance into the school - each year this score changes because it's based on how everyone does in Greece that year. The max score is 20.

What's different about Greece than other countries like the USA, AUS, or CAN is that you don't need an undergraduate degree to become a doctor or a lawyer. Once you graduate high school, and if your panellinies score is high enough, you can go straight to medical school or law school.

Can international students go to college in Greece? Yes, but most colleges will require you to speak fluent Greek, but there are some colleges that are English speaking (e.g. American College of Thessaloniki).

Ask away with questions. My SO, took panellinies, went to college in Greece, and graduated from a college there. She graduated a few years ago, so she's fairly up-to-date on how the system works.

Also, something random, you can legally drop out of school at 15 in Greece and not finish high school.
I personally completely agree with the fact that people go straight into law school or medical school. Why waste so much time on taking "core classes" like you do in the United States. Some skills are so unnecessary for these jobs but the American schools force you to take them as a part of your first year curriculum. I think it's just a way for American colleges to get money because they're technically businesses and not public universities like in Greece

This is interesting - sounds so different from the education system in the United States!

Greek tradition of hanging onions on the door?

I just came from my friend's house and I saw there were onions hanging on the door! I asked them about it and learned it was a New Year's tradition. Here's what my research pulled out:

The Greek New Year is celebrated on the 1st of January, but the preparations for the celebration begin on the New Year’s Eve. As per tradition, the Greeks hang onions outside their house, balcony, or anywhere visible to attract good fortune, prosperity, and luck. The onions are hung, infused with various symbols like coins, bread, honey, and olives, representing prosperity, food, and success. This concept reminds the Greeks of their grandmothers, who hung onions outside their homes and gatherings during special occasions, especially New Year’s Eve.

Beyond the symbolic value of the onions, for Greeks, hanging onions also has medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Onions can purify the air and keep away harmful bacteria and impurities due to their sulfur compounds. Additionally, they are believed to have great health benefits and can help boost your immunity, reduce the risk of cancer, and regulate cholesterol levels.

Hanging onions is also a fun activity that the family enjoys together. Everyone gathers around and writes their wishes on the onions and ties them with a red thread, symbolizing good fortune. The onion is then hung outside the house, allowing the wishes to come true. The onions can also be collected at a later stage and used for cooking, acting as a souvenir that remains with the family for the rest of the year.

The notion of hanging onions is an ancient tradition in Greece, and the country takes pride in it. The ritual dates back to ancient Greece, where they were hung on doors and windows to keep away evil spirits and other unwanted energies. In Greece, the land of myths and legends, the onion symbolizes the new life that arises from the depths of the earth, representing hope, fertility, and growth.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back