1 - 8 of 8 Posts

mastichas09

Crete has just way too many options and I don't know which city to visit this year! Do you guys like Iraklio, Xania, Rethymno, Agios Nikoalos, or Malia?

My personal favorite is Chania (Xania). It is a nice city with plenty to do and is just the right size. Plus, there are a lot of great things to experience in the surrounding area.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
My personal favorite is Chania (Xania). It is a nice city with plenty to do and is just the right size. Plus, there are a lot of great things to experience in the surrounding area.
I find that Xania is the most culturally interesting. I love the Venetian Port the most

I find that Xania is the most culturally interesting. I love the Venetian Port the most
Whenever I am in Chania I love walking through the port all the way to the old lighthouse. The walk is interesting and there are some great views. I agree with you, I find that Chania has a lot more to offer! It's so charming.

Reactions: nm1999
Whenever I am in Chania I love walking through the port all the way to the old lighthouse. The walk is interesting and there are some great views. I agree with you, I find that Chania has a lot more to offer! It's so charming.
Is that where you would like to retire in Crete? :)

Crete has just way too many options and I don't know which city to visit this year! Do you guys like Iraklio, Xania, Rethymno, Agios Nikoalos, or Malia?
I think everywhere in Crete is great - it all depends on what you want to see. I found Heraklion (Iraklio) to be interesting. I loved the variety of restaurants and cafes because after sightseeing, and maybe around 9 PM, that is when I would find a place to settle in, get something to eat, and maybe a few drinks. I found there were more options for that in Heraklion than anywhere else, but I could still do that everywhere else.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Lol maybe! I'd have to see what it's like in the winter first...
I've heard that winters are lovely in Crete! Definitely worth a visit to check if you're thinking about it, and then please share with the rest of us!

Hiking advice for Crete?

I want to hike while I am on Crete but I need advice. I have never hiked in Greece before. Any advice is appreciated! Some things on my mind:

• Best Trails: I was thinking Samaria gorge and maybe one other during my stay. Ay advice?
  • Preparation Tips: What should I pack or prepare for these hikes? Considering the terrain and weather conditions, are there specific items (beyond the basic hiking gear) that are must-haves for Crete? What kinds of shows? How much water?
  • Local Guides or Groups: Do you recommend hiking with a local guide or joining a group for certain trails? If so, how can I find reputable guides or groups
Thanks in advance!

Charming villages in Crete?

I'm planning a trip to Crete and, as an enthusiast for the quaint and the serene, I'm on the lookout for those off-the-beaten-path villages that captivate with their charm. I’ve heard that Crete is sprinkled with hidden gems, where one can truly soak up local culture and history amid idyllic settings.

Has anyone here ventured beyond the usual tourist spots to explore some of the lesser-known villages on the island? I'm interested in places that offer picturesque streets, traditional architecture, local gastronomy, and a warm sense of community.

I’d love to hear your experiences! Thank you in advance.

Video Walk Through of Heraklion Archaeological Museum

I am very fascinated by Greek history, particularly form the Minoan Civilization.

I would very much love to visit Crete so that I can learn more and see where it all happened.

I found this video of a museum I would love to visit. You don't need to have the sound turned on, it's really about the images and all you'll hear is background noise. But, I still found it pretty interesting.

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg

Priorities for exploring Chania's old town?

I’m planning a trip to the enchanting old town of Chania and I’ve heard so much about its rich history and vibrant culture. With so many intriguing options, I find myself grappling with where to begin and how to prioritize my time effectively.

For those who have experience of Chania—what would you say should be at the top of my list?

My interests range broadly, from historical landmarks, museums, and art galleries, to culinary delights and local crafts. I’m particularly fascinated by the blend of architectural styles and cultural influences evident in Chania.

Thanks in advance!

chania-crete.jpg
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back