1 - 13 of 13 Posts

blopez34

Thought i'd share this question! There's too many to choose from :) in my opinion pastitsio can't be beat look at how decadent it is. What do you guys like??

pastitsio-720x479.jpg

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis
Here is my favorite Greek food...Pasta Flora (Greek cookie with jam/jelly in the middle:
IMG_20151126_151759264.jpeg

Reactions: Hash
My favourite dish is Πιταρούδες

1623019191413.png

Crispy spanakopita 💚

9E96786F-F660-4D88-8F2E-C200A005E5E7.jpeg

Reactions: paharo45
I have a lot, and it depends on the time of day: zamponotiropita, kotopita, stifado me kouneli, giouvetsi, xtapodi, saganaki me meli kai sousami, mpougatsa, kokkinisto, souvlakia (not gyros), and gyros...

Reactions: paharo45 and Hash
I have a lot, and it depends on the time of day: zamponotiropita, kotopita, stifado me kouneli, giouvetsi, xtapodi, saganaki me meli kai sousami, mpougatsa, kokkinisto, souvlakia (not gyros), and gyros...
Kuchinaa Ellinika...... Bravo sas!.. used to eat stifado me kouneli in the winter months in Mykonou after some friends who used to hunting in the hills..... loved spicy saganaki too!... Efgharisto polee...

Reactions: paharo45
Reactions: Vangelis and Hash
Is this like spanakopita?
I'm wondering the same. I don't know what it is.. I've never even heard the word before either.

Reactions: Vangelis and Hash
Moussaka.. I could eat it every day in Greece.

I'm wondering the same. I don't know what it is.. I've never even heard the word before either.
Me neither! But it looks amaazing and so flaky with all of the layers

I love Horiatiki (village salad), and Avgolemono soup. For dessert, my favorite are kourabedies:

kourabedies1-720x480.jpg

Reactions: Vangelis
Is this like spanakopita?
No, it's not like spanakopita. The ingredients are different and it is cooked differently. I'm not sure of all the ingredients but there is no cheese, plenty of spinach, celery leaves, parsley and lots of other greens (I have a list somewhere). The pastry is a single thin layer rolled by hand. The whole thing is cooked on a hotplate (I use a stainless steel hotplate on top of a gas stove) and then allowed to cook in its own steam by wrapping it in blankets for 1-2hrs. Then baste liberally with λαδολέμονο and you're done! Takes all morning to make them but they are worth it!

No, it's not like spanakopita. The ingredients are different and it is cooked differently. I'm not sure of all the ingredients but there is no cheese, plenty of spinach, celery leaves, parsley and lots of other greens (I have a list somewhere). The pastry is a single thin layer rolled by hand. The whole thing is cooked on a hotplate (I use a stainless steel hotplate on top of a gas stove) and then allowed to cook in its own steam by wrapping it in blankets for 1-2hrs. Then baste liberally with λαδολέμονο and you're done! Takes all morning to make them but they are worth it!
This sounds amazing and super fresh and herby! I will definitely try it out sometime soon :)

Reactions: Vangelis

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

How does this fasolada recipe look?

Does anyone have any idea if the ingredients list in this fasolada recipe looks good? I want to make it soon - seems like a good lenten meal to me.

• 1 cup dried white beans (such as Great Northern or navy beans), soaked overnight
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
  • Optional: lemon wedges for serving

I am questioning the lemon and the garlic - I never put both lemon and garlic together. Also, I have never used stock before, I usually put tomato paste in it. But this recipe has diced tomatoes so I am questioning if the stock is necessary.

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

Greek Halva Recipe to Enjoy During Lent?

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.

Best way to make saganaki?

I went to a restaurant the other day and they lit the saganaki on fire! When I make saganaki at home, I don't do that - mainly because my recipe doesn't call for it.

How does one incorporate the fire into creating the dish?

From what I can tell, the restaurant prepares the saganaki and then before they bring it out, I think they douse it in ouzo and let it with a torch on the way to the table.

It's a fun thing to watch. It kind of freaks me out at home - mainly because I would be merely guessing at this point. Any ideas?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back