21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Blue & White

How nice to read this....it should be an inspiration to all read your post......... Bravo sas!.... Polleeee Kalley Mera apo mena from Thailand!
Kali mera Hash,
How's Thailand going? Any dangerous places there? Apparently Athens is a war zone according to the Greek Americans

• Haha
Reactions: Vangelis
Kali mera Hash,
How's Thailand going? Any dangerous places there? Apparently Athens is a war zone according to the Greek Americans
E re, how much time have you spent in Athens? Apparently not much.

Your comment history on this forum show you know nothing about Greece, let alone Athens.

Last edited:

Vangelis

Hehehe... I knew this thread would "blow up", that's why I stayed out of it when I first read about the "dangerous" areas in Athens. I can't keep quiet any longer. When I'm in Athens I stay in Exarcheia because it is the most vibrant and raw suburb of Athens. My Athenian friends tell me not to walk around there at night! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was walking around Exarcheia square at 3am the previous night. In fact, lots of American tourists stay in hotels in Exarcheia these days. Nobody annoys you unless you annoy them. Ok, it doesn't help that I tell the drug dealers in the square to get [email protected] but hey, that's just me. I like to live a little dangerously at times. It's certainly a refreshing change from the "safe" and let's face it, boring Australian city suburbia. I love Athens, even the suburbs are controversial!!!

Hehehe... I knew this thread would "blow up", that's why I stayed out of it when I first read about the "dangerous" areas in Athens. I can't keep quiet any longer. When I'm in Athens I stay in Exarcheia because it is the most vibrant and raw suburb of Athens. My Athenian friends tell me not to walk around there at night! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was walking around Exarcheia square at 3am the previous night. In fact, lots of American tourists stay in hotels in Exarcheia these days. Nobody annoys you unless you annoy them. Ok, it doesn't help that I tell the drug dealers in the square to get [email protected] but hey, that's just me. I like to live a little dangerously at times. It's certainly a refreshing change from the "safe" and let's face it, boring Australian city suburbia. I love Athens, even the suburbs are controversial!!!
Spot on. That's exactly how you have to talk to them. It feels like you're being rude to them (and you are), but that's what's required to get it into their heads and make them leave you alone. In Australia/USA/Canada we believe it's best to be polite to people when you talk to people, but in Greece you have to be very rude to these people or they will not leave you alone.

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

What part of Athens is not worth visiting?

People have been recommending so many amazing places to visit but i’m wondering if there’s something I should take off my list (I only have a couple of days). So in your opinion, which area of Athens didn’t meet your expectations and you wouldn’t really visit again? No need for hate here!! Just trying to plan LOL

What is going on with the covid vaccine protests in Athens?

I've heard protests in Athens can get pretty dicey....what's going on with these covid vaccine protests? Is it safe? I would love to hear from someone who is there right now

Reminiscing about Athens through pictures

Post your Athens pics!! I miss this city so much

athens.jpeg

An Englishman in Athens: Sting to Perform at Odeon of Herodes Atticus

Greece Launches Covid Free Badges at Restaurants, Bars

Please read comments....a very sensitive and inflammatory issue and I agree....at least it must also be in English language.... they have got this wrong.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter