21 - 26 of 26 Posts
How nice to read this....it should be an inspiration to all read your post......... Bravo sas!.... Polleeee Kalley Mera apo mena from Thailand!
Kali mera Hash,
How's Thailand going? Any dangerous places there? Apparently Athens is a war zone according to the Greek Americans

• Haha
Reactions: Vangelis
Kali mera Hash,
How's Thailand going? Any dangerous places there? Apparently Athens is a war zone according to the Greek Americans
E re, how much time have you spent in Athens? Apparently not much.

Your comment history on this forum show you know nothing about Greece, let alone Athens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hash
Hehehe... I knew this thread would "blow up", that's why I stayed out of it when I first read about the "dangerous" areas in Athens. I can't keep quiet any longer. When I'm in Athens I stay in Exarcheia because it is the most vibrant and raw suburb of Athens. My Athenian friends tell me not to walk around there at night! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was walking around Exarcheia square at 3am the previous night. In fact, lots of American tourists stay in hotels in Exarcheia these days. Nobody annoys you unless you annoy them. Ok, it doesn't help that I tell the drug dealers in the square to get f@cked but hey, that's just me. I like to live a little dangerously at times. It's certainly a refreshing change from the "safe" and let's face it, boring Australian city suburbia. I love Athens, even the suburbs are controversial!!!

Reactions: ellinasgolfer0320
Hehehe... I knew this thread would "blow up", that's why I stayed out of it when I first read about the "dangerous" areas in Athens. I can't keep quiet any longer. When I'm in Athens I stay in Exarcheia because it is the most vibrant and raw suburb of Athens. My Athenian friends tell me not to walk around there at night! I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was walking around Exarcheia square at 3am the previous night. In fact, lots of American tourists stay in hotels in Exarcheia these days. Nobody annoys you unless you annoy them. Ok, it doesn't help that I tell the drug dealers in the square to get f@cked but hey, that's just me. I like to live a little dangerously at times. It's certainly a refreshing change from the "safe" and let's face it, boring Australian city suburbia. I love Athens, even the suburbs are controversial!!!
Spot on. That's exactly how you have to talk to them. It feels like you're being rude to them (and you are), but that's what's required to get it into their heads and make them leave you alone. In Australia/USA/Canada we believe it's best to be polite to people when you talk to people, but in Greece you have to be very rude to these people or they will not leave you alone.

I would visit the Acropolis again and again :) I absolutely love it!
I agree, each time I go I get something different out of it. Also, there's too much to see in one day if you really want to do it justice. I could spend two days in the museum alone!

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis
In my opinion, there are so many places to visit in Athens, it isn't a matter of taking things off your plate or not. It's all worth seeing. It depends on what types of things you want to see.

Athens airport question...

There's a group of us going to Athens and our flights get in the same day, but at different times.

Is there an easy spot to wait for the rest of our group outside of security, like a cafe or restaurant, or even an area with chairs to sit... I have only been to this airport once, and I don't remember any details about what happens after security.

Taking the Ferry to Mykonos?

I am planning a trip for Greece next year to Greece. I usually fly into Athens and then fly into a place like Santorini or Mykonos from there.

I plan to go to Mykonos next summer and I am kind of sick of flying.

Is the ferry situation easy from Piraeus? Is this a better option than airplanes?

Someone told me I could wait until the last minute and buy the tickets that day, but I am not sure I feel comfortable with that...

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Should you come to Athens in the winter?

I have never been to Greece in winter and I was considering it. I found this video - it was very informative! Thought I'd share:

Fun Side Trips While Staying in Athens

I've been to Athens. I have done side trips from Athens. Still, I love Rick Steve's work and I found this interesting! He visited some of the places I've seen, but frankly, he made me want to see them again. This was a fun watch!

One of the places I haven't been that he mentioned is Hydra. Such a cool-looking place.

Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back