1 - 3 of 3 Posts

seleanor

What are your travel tips for Aristotelis square in Thessaloniki?

Agia Sophia square is just down the street! It's one of the most beautiful plateias in the city! Totally worth a visit. In terms of actual stores or restaurants, I just walk around until I stumble upon something nice to do. The city is always busy and full of activities, you won't miss them

Aristotelous Square is a great gathering point in Thessaloniki. There are many shops and cafes and it is a nice place to sit and enjoy the day. As someone else said, Sophia Square is nearby and that is a very beautiful place!

Why So Many Starbucks in Thessaloniki?

I was in Thessaloniki this past summer and I noticed more than one Starbucks. Why are there so many?

Not only that, but I am curious if the Greek population has embraced it and if they're popular.

Lots of people were in all that I saw, but I couldn't tell if it were Greeks, tourists, students, etc...

I had thought that Greek coffee drinks were different, and I had no idea Greeks liked coffee like this!

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

What are your favorite things to do in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Thessaloniki next year. I am trying to think of what to do. I just want a rough idea so I can figure out how many days to spend.

Here's what I was thinking for some activities, but I want to know your recommendations:
  • Taking a walk along the beautiful waterfront promenade
  • Exploring the historical White Tower
  • Savoring delicious Greek cuisine at the local tavernas
What activities or spots would you recommend? I'm interested in everything from cultural experiences, food destinations, hidden gems, to some relaxation spots. And of course, if there are any events or local gatherings happening, I'd be thrilled to join and immerse myself in the local culture.

Some tips for traveling to Thessaloniki - anything to add?

I thought I'd make a list of some things to do in Thessaloniki - I tried to find things that are interesting and fun. Anything to add?

1. Take a guided tour of the Royal Tombs of Aigai (Vergina) to learn about ancient Macedonian history.
  2. Visit the Archaeological Museum of Pella to see artifacts from the ancient city of Pella, birthplace of Alexander the Great.
  3. Explore the ruins of Dion, an ancient Macedonian sanctuary at the foot of Mount Olympus.
  4. Explore the Archaeological Site of Vergina, a UNESCO World Heritage site with ancient Macedonian tombs and ruins.
  5. Discover modern art at the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art.
  6. Visit the archaeological site of Dion to see ancient ruins and artifacts from the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
  7. Explore the traditional village of Arnea for its charming architecture, cobblestone streets, and local crafts.
  8. Take a guided tour of the archaeological site of Philippi, a UNESCO World Heritage site with ruins dating back to ancient Greece and Rome.
  9. Explore the traditional village of Palaios Panteleimonas for its stone houses, narrow streets, and stunning views of Mount Olympus.
  10. Visit the Monastery of Panagia Soumela, a Greek Orthodox monastery located on the slopes of Mount Vermio.

Seeking the Best Mezze Spots in Thessaloniki

I am looking for recommendations. I am going to Thessaloniki in the spring and I want to visit a taverna or restaurant that has great Mezze!

If you've had an unforgettable meze experience in Thessaloniki, please share! I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Your favorite spots for meze in the city
  • Must-try dishes
  • Any tips for a truly authentic meze dining experience
I appreciate any guidance you can provide to help me (and fellow food lovers) compile a list of must-visit meze destinations in Thessaloniki.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back