1 - 2 of 2 Posts

efhernandez_

There are many things you can add to your Melitzanosalata to spice things up. Here are a few suggestions: crushed walnuts, roasted red peppers, spicy peppers, pomegranate seeds, tahini, crispy eggplant skin, crispy fried onions, green onions for garnishing. All of these will upgrade a classic dip :)

Melitzanosalata-Eggplant-Salad-Recipe-720x480.jpg

k_tsoukalas

Melitzanasalata is one of those delicious Greek dishes that I don't make much, but when I do have it, it's delicious.

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

How Do You Make Your Greek Village Salad?

I got turned onto this salad recently and I realize that it's such a nice change of pace from the salads I usually make. I love how it doesn't use lettuce because I don't always seem to have it on hand.

Here is the combination I like for mine. How do you guys like making it?

- tomatoes
- cucumber
- green bell peppers
- red onion or scallion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- plenty of olive oil
- oregano

I like it a bit room temperature so after I make it, I set it on the counter for maybe 45 minutes before I dive in. It also gives the flavors a chance to meld together. I would like to try making other combinations!

Do you have tips for working with phyllo?

I have been experimenting with Greek cooking for a few years now and I didn't have the guts to start trying to work with phyllo until recently - I tried to make baklava. I had all kinds of problems and I am hoping you guys have some tips to help me get the hang of it better. Here's a list of the issues I had:

1. Sheets were stuck together in the package
2. The phyllo started to dry out as I assembled the recipe
3. My pan was shorter than each sheet and I didn't know what to do with the exces

I don't know, am I doing something wrong?

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Could I Use Different Greens in My Pita?

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter