1 - 7 of 7 Posts

nadellii

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.

Reactions: GAGEORGESON
Yup, Hellas (Ellas / Ελλάς) is the actual name of Greece, Hellenes (Ellines / Έλληνες) are the people, and Hellenic (Ellinika / Ελληνικά) is the language. I'm not sure where Hellada (Ellada / Ελλάδα) comes from even though it's more commonly used than Hellas when speaking Greek.

Reactions: nadellii
Yup, Hellas (Ellas / Ελλάς) is the actual name of Greece, Hellenes (Ellines / Έλληνες) are the people, and Hellenic (Ellinika / Ελληνικά) is the language. I'm not sure where Hellada (Ellada / Ελλάδα) comes from even though it's more commonly used than Hellas when speaking Greek.
Yes, the only time I hear “Hellas” spoken is at sporting events when people say “Hellas Ole” 🎉

The English name Greece and the similar adaptations in other languages derive from the Latin name Graecia (Greek: Γραικία), literally meaning 'the land of the Greeks', which was used by Ancient Romans to denote the area of modern-day Greece.You can search on google also

Shakti Peethas

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.
Yes! The "Greek word" for Greece is totally different. Hellada is where the word, Hellenic, comes from. This is a fun tidbit! Many people don't realize it.

It is true that, speaking of words, the English Greece comes from the Latin Graecia, but this word is < Gr. Graikia, the land of the Graikoi. In ancient times, specific ethnic names were used, IN GREEK, for the generic "/greeks/", namely Akheoi, Iaones, Graikoi, etc., and Aristotle mentions the equivalence of Graikoi and Hellenes. // It is hard to tell when Hellas or Hellespont were coined and when they came in general use in the Greek oikoumene [from Asia Minor to Magna Graecia].

Last edited:
I do not know either where or when HELLADA comes from, but I know that the genitive case of the ancient HELLAS is hellados -- the obvious basis of the mystery word.

Learning about the Olympic Games

It's an Olympics year so I thought I would chat a bit about the Olympic Games!

The original Olympic Games, held in Olympia, Greece, were primarily a festival celebrating Zeus, the king of the Greek gods. These games began around 776 BC and featured a range of athletic competitions, from foot races to combat sports like wrestling and boxing. Interestingly, the games were so significant that wars were put on hold, and conflicts paused to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to Olympia. This ancient tradition of the Olympic Truce or "Ekecheiria" is a testament to the power of sport in fostering peace and unity, a principle that remains at the heart of the Olympics today.

I find it absolutely intriguing how these ancient games laid the groundwork for the modern Olympics, introducing concepts of sportsmanship, excellence, and the idea of bringing people together through the universal language of sport.

Has anyone visited ancient Olympia? Do you guys enjoy watching the Olympic Games?

For Ancient Greeks, Our Modern Democracy is an Oligarchy.

Documentary about Ancient Greece

I love to watch documentaries about Ancient Greece. I find a lot of content on YouTube but some of it was just created by users and I am not sure the credibility of the sources.

I watched this one recently and wanted to share - it is from the History Channel:

Interesting Greek History Topics I Like

The Persian Wars: The wars fought between Greece and the Persian empire in the 5th century BC were some of the most consequential conflicts of ancient times. Learn about the key events, such as the Battle of Marathon and the Battle of Thermopylae, and the strategies that allowed the Greeks to repel the Persian invaders.

The Rise of Athens: Arguably the most influential city-state in ancient Greece, Athens was the birthplace of democracy, philosophy, and the arts. Follow the rise of Athens from a humble village to a powerhouse of trade and culture.

The Peloponnesian War: The decades-long conflict between Athens and Sparta was a turning point in Greek history, leading to the decline of Athens and the rise of Macedon under Philip II and his son Alexander.

The Life of Alexander the Great: The young conqueror who led his armies across the known world, Alexander the Great is one of the most famous and admired figures of ancient history. Learn about his upbringing, his conquests, and his legacy.

The Olympic Games: A tradition that continues to this day, the ancient Olympics were a celebration of sports, culture, and political power. Explore the origins of the games and the events that took place.

Information About Alexander the Great

I have always been fascinated by Alexander the Great. I have this sense that depending on how you look at what he did, you could see it differently.

Sure, he conquered and spread hellenism. But what about the place he conquered? How did they feel? I am guessing not very favorable towards him.

If found this documentary on YouTube created by the history channel. I thought I'd watch it. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back