1 - 3 of 3 Posts

knicks_fan87

Im planning on visiting the whole island, so which is the best airport to fly into? Does it just depend on where I want to start my trip?

The 2 bigger airports on the island of Crete, Greece are Heraklion International Airport and Chania International Airport. There is a smaller, regional airport in Sitia Crete as well.

To answer your question it depends if you are coming in from another Greek island or international then I would stick with the more main larger airports.

I would personally fly into Heraklion because there is a lot to do in that area. You can always make your way to Chania later on the trip. Since Heraklion is the larger airport, there ear more options for flights.

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...

List of foods to try on Crete

Crete is one of my favorite islands - and I plan to visit again in a few months. I thought I would make a list of some of the foods I definitely plan to eat when there.

The of you who know about the island, do you have anything to add?

• Dakos
  • Horta
  • Cretan "pitakia" (in the turnover dough)
  • Horiatiki
  • Pizza (sounds silly, but I love eating Pizza on Crete LOL)

Lagoons of Crete?

I'm planning a trip to Crete and I'm absolutely captivated by the idea of visiting its stunning lagoons. From what I've gathered, these natural wonders are not only a feast for the eyes but also offer unique experiences in terms of swimming, snorkeling, and just soaking in the breathtaking views.

I've heard about the famous Elafonissi and Balos lagoons, but I'm curious if there are other lesser-known lagoons on the island that are worth exploring. Additionally, I'm interested in any tips or advice on the best times to visit, how to get there, what to expect, or any other suggestions that could help make my visit as enjoyable as possible.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on where to stay nearby these lagoons or any local eateries to try out, that would be fantastic! I'm eager to experience Crete not just as a tourist, but through the eyes of those who know it best.

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back