1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I have been working on keeping an indoor oregano plant alive because I love the flavor of the fresh herb. Other herbs I like to cook with include parsley, chives, mint, and dill. Do these all grow well indoors?

I have a nice, large windowsill near my kitchen and I have room for about 3 or 4 more herbs. I am trying to figure out which plants to grow. The window gets moderate sun and has a heating vent near it.

I would definitely do oregano, chives, parsley, and mint. I am not sure about dill - I have personally had trouble growing it indoors. Keep some seed packets handy because as you're trying to get them to grow, you may need to add more seeds. None of these need a lot of water, but you should check the plants every few days and water as needed. Rotate them a quarter turn once a week so they can get even sunlight.

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

How does this fasolada recipe look?

Does anyone have any idea if the ingredients list in this fasolada recipe looks good? I want to make it soon - seems like a good lenten meal to me.

• 1 cup dried white beans (such as Great Northern or navy beans), soaked overnight
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
  • Optional: lemon wedges for serving

I am questioning the lemon and the garlic - I never put both lemon and garlic together. Also, I have never used stock before, I usually put tomato paste in it. But this recipe has diced tomatoes so I am questioning if the stock is necessary.

Roundup of Easy Recipes to Start Cooking Greek Food

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back