1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

What is the root of this city's beautiful name? I love it :) Greetings from Melbourne

thessaloniki.jpeg

It was named Thessalonike after the half sister of Alexander the Great, whose name means "Thessalian victory". Alexander's sister was in turn, named like that to commemorate one of hers father's victory.

What are your favorite things to do in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Thessaloniki next year. I am trying to think of what to do. I just want a rough idea so I can figure out how many days to spend.

Here's what I was thinking for some activities, but I want to know your recommendations:
  • Taking a walk along the beautiful waterfront promenade
  • Exploring the historical White Tower
  • Savoring delicious Greek cuisine at the local tavernas
What activities or spots would you recommend? I'm interested in everything from cultural experiences, food destinations, hidden gems, to some relaxation spots. And of course, if there are any events or local gatherings happening, I'd be thrilled to join and immerse myself in the local culture.

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

Seeking the Best Mezze Spots in Thessaloniki

I am looking for recommendations. I am going to Thessaloniki in the spring and I want to visit a taverna or restaurant that has great Mezze!

If you've had an unforgettable meze experience in Thessaloniki, please share! I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Your favorite spots for meze in the city
  • Must-try dishes
  • Any tips for a truly authentic meze dining experience
I appreciate any guidance you can provide to help me (and fellow food lovers) compile a list of must-visit meze destinations in Thessaloniki.

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?

Are there good beaches near Thessaloniki?

I am gathering some information about possible beaches to visit while in Greece. I will be traveling with a bunch of people who love the beach. We have to spend some time in Thessaloniki to visit someone, but I am trying to figure out if the beaches in this area will do the trick or if we should take a few days to travel somewhere just for the beach. We'll also be spending time on Crete. Should we wait for Crete to go to the beach?

Here are some beaches that I found near Thessaloniki. Are they any good?

Peraia Beach: Peraia Beach is located in the municipality of Thermaikos, just a short drive from Thessaloniki. This long sandy beach offers plenty of cafes and bars nearby.

Agia Triada Beach: Agia Triada Beach is another great option located in the municipality of Thermaikos. This beach is famous for its clear blue waters and stunning views of Mount Olympus. There are plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas available for rent, and numerous cafes and restaurants.

Nea Michaniona Beach: Nea Michaniona Beach is a quiet, secluded beach located just 30km from Thessaloniki. This beach is perfect for those looking to escape the crowds and relax in a peaceful environment. I heard the water here is crystal clear and perfect for swimming.

Epanomi Beach: Epanomi Beach is a long sandy beach located just 26km from Thessaloniki. This beach offers plenty of space and amenities, making it perfect for families. There are plenty of cafes and taverns to grab a bite, as well as a kids' playground and beach volley court.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back