1 - 6 of 6 Posts

dpappas87

I live in California, and I am used to living a pretty fit lifestyle. Recently, I have been a weight loss journey, connecting to my Greek roots and the healthy foods that are part of the Mediterranean diet. Although I wasn't active for a long time, I have found that there are plenty of opportunities where I live in LA. There are a lot of gyms, parks, I go for daily walks, etc.

I am planning my next trip to Greece and I need your advice. How do I stay fit? We are planning to spend a few days in Athens and then do some island hopping. We won't be staying in a hotel with a fitness center. I plan to pack something portable, like my fitness bands, so I can do a quick workout in my room if I need to. Yet, I see that Greeks are very fit. What should I do while in the country? How do Greeks stay fit?

I am older, but in decent shape. I can walk, hike, etc. I was thinking of heading to Crete just so I can hike the Samaria Gorge. I have friend my age who did it and thought it was a great experience. I am open to any advice you can give.

Reactions: Hash
I was thinking about this yesterday. I actually manage to lose weight every time I am in Greece and I almost can't figure out why, because I feel like I am eating all the time - dessert every night, drinks, three large meals a day.

Two factors I think are part of this - the food is super fresh and of a high quality, and I tend to walk A LOT when I am in Greece. Though I usually rent a car, I only seem to use it for road trips, preferring to walk and take taxis in the cities and villages. I must be burning a lot of calories.

I saw, bring fitness bands and use them in your hotel room, but I wouldn't worry too much about it because I bet you'll have no problem maintaining your weight.

I think your idea of going to Crete is excellent. The recreational opportunities are endless and the food is extremely fresh and healthy. My preference is the Chania Prefecture which includes the Samaria Gorge as well as others, the Botanical Gardens, exquisite beaches, and farm-to-table restaurants.

I think your idea of going to Crete is excellent. The recreational opportunities are endless and the food is extremely fresh and healthy. My preference is the Chania Prefecture which includes the Samaria Gorge as well as others, the Botanical Gardens, exquisite beaches, and farm-to-table restaurants.
Oh! I like the sound of this, thank you! I will start researching this area, it seems like there are a lot of opportunities here.

As you explore the Prefecture of Chania, you could spend some nights in the Old Town (all day trips are possible from there) and maybe look into a couple of nights in Loutro on the southern coast. Accessible only by ferry from Sfakia, there are hiking trails across the coast and behind Loutro up to the village of Anopolis where a little further along, you’ll also find the spectacular Aradena Gorge. If you’re tired of hiking by then, Loutro also gives you quick access to the beach of Marmara located at the end of the Aradena. In season, there’s bungee jumping from the Aradena Bridge!😉

I’ll stop…you can tell that I’m really fond of Chania! Enjoy your research!

I live in California, and I am used to living a pretty fit lifestyle. Recently, I have been a weight loss journey, connecting to my Greek roots and the healthy foods that are part of the Mediterranean diet. Although I wasn't active for a long time, I have found that there are plenty of opportunities where I live in LA. There are a lot of gyms, parks, I go for daily walks, etc.

I am planning my next trip to Greece and I need your advice. How do I stay fit? We are planning to spend a few days in Athens and then do some island hopping. We won't be staying in a hotel with a fitness center. I plan to pack something portable, like my fitness bands, so I can do a quick workout in my room if I need to. Yet, I see that Greeks are very fit. What should I do while in the country? How do Greeks stay fit?

I am older, but in decent shape. I can walk, hike, etc. I was thinking of heading to Crete just so I can hike the Samaria Gorge. I have friend my age who did it and thought it was a great experience. I am open to any advice you can give.
trust me you will do a lot of walking and I spent a lot of time swimming, of course it would have to be summer to have the warm temperatures. You don't need a gym. You can eat a good diet with vegetables and fruits there and there are a lot of hills to keep you in shape. I am also from CA with a gym membership but did not miss it at all whiles visiting and didn't gain any weight.

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Best places in Greece to see the Venetian influences?

I am interested in the Venetian influences that are interwoven into certain parts of the country. From the architecture to the local customs, I understand that the reach of the Venetian Republic left a notable mark that can still be felt today.

I'm in the midst of planning an itinerary focused on exploring these influences and I’d love to hear from you about the must-visit spots where one can best experience the essence of the Venetian presence in Greece.

Do any of you have recommendations for specific towns, buildings, ruins, or even local festivities that embody this cultural blend? Any hidden gems or lesser-known locations that surprised you with their Venetian charm?

Of course, I expect Crete, with its famed Venetian fortresses and the romantic old town of Chania, to be part of this list. But I'm certain there is a wealth of places, perhaps on other islands or on the mainland, which equally showcase this unique period of history. I also know there are influences in Corfu. Is there anywhere else?

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Greek Islands Food Tour?

I am a foodie and I love to cook. Does anyone know of any food tour situations that I can do in the islands, or maybe island hopping?

I am in the midst of planning an exciting adventure to Greece and am particularly interested in experiencing the country through its cuisine. I've heard that island hopping offers not just stunning views but also a taste of local flavors that differ from island to island.

With so many beautiful islands, from the renowned Santorini to the charming Skopelos, I'm looking for recommendations on food tours or culinary experiences that are part of island hopping packages. Any recommendations you may have would be great!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back