1 - 3 of 3 Posts

cf_fraiser

Agios Nikolaos Orfanos Church is one of the oldest churches in the city! I love this church, and it has some of the nicest frescos in my opinion. I'm not sure if it's still functioning for services, does anyone know?

Reactions: blopez34
Yes it is still functioning! Most old Greek churches are aahah, it doesn't stop the Greeks

Agios Nikolaos Orfanos Church is one of the oldest churches in the city! I love this church, and it has some of the nicest frescos in my opinion. I'm not sure if it's still functioning for services, does anyone know?

This church really is stunning, I agree. It would be great to attend a church service here!

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

New Year's Celebration in Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know what is going on in Thessaloniki for New Year's? There's a chance I could be in the city this year during it and I want to get a feel for what to expect. I went to Greece to visit some family over Christmas.

I heard that they light fireworks at midnight somewhere? Is this true? I'll be visiting some people, so I am assuming they know what is going on, but I want to have a general feel for it.

Some cities have a big celebration outside. I didn't know if Thessaloniki was one of those places.

Are there good beaches near Thessaloniki?

I am gathering some information about possible beaches to visit while in Greece. I will be traveling with a bunch of people who love the beach. We have to spend some time in Thessaloniki to visit someone, but I am trying to figure out if the beaches in this area will do the trick or if we should take a few days to travel somewhere just for the beach. We'll also be spending time on Crete. Should we wait for Crete to go to the beach?

Here are some beaches that I found near Thessaloniki. Are they any good?

Peraia Beach: Peraia Beach is located in the municipality of Thermaikos, just a short drive from Thessaloniki. This long sandy beach offers plenty of cafes and bars nearby.

Agia Triada Beach: Agia Triada Beach is another great option located in the municipality of Thermaikos. This beach is famous for its clear blue waters and stunning views of Mount Olympus. There are plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas available for rent, and numerous cafes and restaurants.

Nea Michaniona Beach: Nea Michaniona Beach is a quiet, secluded beach located just 30km from Thessaloniki. This beach is perfect for those looking to escape the crowds and relax in a peaceful environment. I heard the water here is crystal clear and perfect for swimming.

Epanomi Beach: Epanomi Beach is a long sandy beach located just 26km from Thessaloniki. This beach offers plenty of space and amenities, making it perfect for families. There are plenty of cafes and taverns to grab a bite, as well as a kids' playground and beach volley court.

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back