1 - 6 of 6 Posts

mastichas09

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in....but im super curious if anyone knows any good Greek clothing brands! I love to support Greek companies

No. Generally speaking, Greek clothes are absolute garbage. The best clothes in Greece are worse than the clothes you can buy at target or Walmart. Many companies in Greece will put "made in Greece" but the product is actually made in China.

Save your money and don't buy any clothes or linens from Greece.

If you must, check out: Tsakiris Mallas, Bsb, Toi&Moi... I'm not 100% certain if Toi&Moi is Greek

Last edited:
Reactions: nm1999
No. Generally speaking, Greek clothes are absolute garbage. The best clothes in Greece are worse than the clothes you can buy at target or Walmart. Many companies in Greece will put "made in Greece" but the product is actually made in China.

Save your money and don't buy any clothes or linens from Greece.

If you must, check out: Tsakiris Mallas, Bsb, Toi&Moi... I'm not 100% certain if Toi&Moi is Greek
Greece used to have really great shoes, Tsakiris Mallas is pretty popular and makes decent women's shoes but they aren't what they used to be

Well, it depends on your budget as many Greek fashion brands have gone international and are on the expensive side:

Check our Parthenis, Ioanna Kourbella, Ancient Kallos, Ancient Greek Sandals, Zeus + Dione, Callista Crafts to name a few .
If you search for Greek designers, you will be amazed by the innovation and quality.

Reactions: nadellii
There are also really great Greek visual artists and jewelers. I don’t know any by name but every time I go to Greece I am stunned by the craftsmanship in the small galleries. If you’re in Athens or islands you will find beautiful handmade things

Reactions: linsuelin
Interesting. I have been reading that there are some up and coming Greek fashion designers that are gaining recognition. I read it in Vogue:

There's a Greek designer named Di Petsa who grew up in Athens and is gaining worldwide recognition. Check out her stuff:

She has a genius way of wrapping the body with her clothes. And her stuff is pretty affordable.

Reactions: The Local Favour

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back