1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

I would love to travel quickly by train from Thessaloniki to Athens...is this possible?

Reactions: Hash
There trains between the 2 cities with at least four per day. The trip takes about 4 hours.

There trains between the 2 cities with at least four per day. The trip takes about 4 hours.
I've never taken a train in Greece, only bus so I don't know what it's like. Although trains are usually always better! Have you taken it? What was your experience?

Sorry the only time I used a train in Greece was Metro in Athens . Others have told me about the train, apparently a fast train but it can't be that fast if it takes 4 hours to cover the 500 km. I usually pick up a car at the airport and use that for our stay in Greece, I even take the car of Ferries, most rental companies will not allow that. I use the same mob every time and they allow as long as you tell them what islands you are going .
If you have some time and you can drive, rent a car and go to Meteora, a Unesco listed monastery, it is not far out of the way.

Sorry the only time I used a train in Greece was Metro in Athens . Others have told me about the train, apparently a fast train but it can't be that fast if it takes 4 hours to cover the 500 km. I usually pick up a car at the airport and use that for our stay in Greece, I even take the car of Ferries, most rental companies will not allow that. I use the same mob every time and they allow as long as you tell them what islands you are going .
If you have some time and you can drive, rent a car and go to Meteora, a Unesco listed monastery, it is not far out of the way.
Doesn't sound super fast lol, but fast for Greece! So that's the bright side

Fast train is supposed to take 3 hours:

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Why So Many Starbucks in Thessaloniki?

I was in Thessaloniki this past summer and I noticed more than one Starbucks. Why are there so many?

Not only that, but I am curious if the Greek population has embraced it and if they're popular.

Lots of people were in all that I saw, but I couldn't tell if it were Greeks, tourists, students, etc...

I had thought that Greek coffee drinks were different, and I had no idea Greeks liked coffee like this!

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

Seeking the Best Mezze Spots in Thessaloniki

I am looking for recommendations. I am going to Thessaloniki in the spring and I want to visit a taverna or restaurant that has great Mezze!

If you've had an unforgettable meze experience in Thessaloniki, please share! I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Your favorite spots for meze in the city
  • Must-try dishes
  • Any tips for a truly authentic meze dining experience
I appreciate any guidance you can provide to help me (and fellow food lovers) compile a list of must-visit meze destinations in Thessaloniki.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back